UNT's albino squirrel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Smile UNT's albino squirrel

We have an official albino squirrel on my campus. He is pretty revered by all of the students and there are websites for him. He is said to bring good luck to test-takers (it is good luck to see him before you take your test). He's so super cute and I hung around him for about 30 min one day taking pictures of him with my cell phone.

He is super cute and everyone is amazed that he has lasted so long (at least 5 years or so - he's been here since I have).

Here are some pics of him (I took these pics from the profile created for the squirrel on Facebook.com. These pics were taken by 3 different people):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg albino squirrel.jpg (5.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg albino squirrel 1.jpg (6.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg albino squirrel 2.jpg (3.8 KB, 42 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Formula86; 11-26-2005 at 04:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:00 AM
I live in a Pigdom

He's cute! Look at him splat!

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Awww! How long do squirrels normally live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I live in a Pigdom

How long do squirrels live?

Squirrels in captivity have lived to be twenty years old. Most Gray squirrels will die before their first birthday, not due to predators or the lack of food. But by being run over by vehicles. If they survive their first year, they should live five or six more years.

As found on.... http://www.squirrels.org/faq.html

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Herp Nerd

Pretty neat, theres a park near my house that has some white squirrels. Of course, I've never been able to get close enough to them to tell if they're actually albinos or not, but they definitely stand out when all the other squirrels in the area are a ruddy grey color.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Wow, that's really neat!

Rhonda

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

He is pretty neat, right??

We are surprised he has survived due to predators. There are lots of feral cats on campus. We even have a Feral Cat Rescue Program. The program traps the cats, spay/neuters them, gives em shots, and releases them back on campus to live. There are little houses for them and the program puts food out. They are all pretty safe on campus because our campus is self-contained, meaning it doesn't mix with the city. There is a definite perimeter to the campus and very rarely do motorized vehicles pass through (only school sanctioned ones).

My university is pretty cool about the animals.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Here is their link:

http://orgs.unt.edu/feralcat/

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

So cute!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gosh hes cute! I love squirrels!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Squeeeeee! I LOVE squirrels! Jane....can you send him my way?

Karen

[

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM
nikky

wow how cute is he, i want him.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Princess in Waiting

How neat! Being the raccoon person in our rehab group I didn't get too many squirrels. They likedto make their nests in my daughters long, curly hair and she didn't approve! I have seen an albine raccoon but he was blind and could not be released. And someone called from the University of KY for my to rescue a red-tailed hawk. It had evidently flown into a window because he was not really sure what was going on and was easy to catch.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow!! He's amazing!! Lol - black squirrels in one thread, albino's in another......

Thanks for the pics. Hope he keeps on surviving and thriving, bless him. Sounds as if he's got quite a fan club.

Love Han and her 'babies'! x

3 degus - Basil, Rosie and Mary
3 chinchillas - Betsy, Chewy and Snowy
9 ratties - Mollie, Fudge, Rolo, Flora, Daisy, Blossom, Bailey, Tia and Honey
2 spiny mice - Oscar and Ned
2 Syrian hamsters - Herbert and Tinkerbell
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I Heart My Job

He's very cute. ^^ My brother's campus has 1 black squirrel they call the ninja squirrel. I've never seen a white/albino one before though. Very cool.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!

Tags
feral cats