We have a frog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We have a frog

When our pond was cleaned out a few weeks ago the guys that cleaned it found we have a frog! It's just a small man made pond that we put in for our turtle.
I am really not sure where this frog came from. We were battling algae and tadpoles were recommended. I had put tadpoles in before and we only had one big black frog that actually survived the tadpole stage. He disappeared a few years ago. I think I put a tadpole in last spring - I am pretty sure I did. So this adorable guy is brown on top with a creamy tummy with some brown spots around the edges. I have been trying to research what type of frog he is and I cannot find him. Maybe I am just prejudice thinking that none of the frog pictures I have found come close to being as cute as our frog. He is pretty much staying in the water right now - although I know he's been out because I have heard him plop into the pond.
I was hoping someone could point me to a good website with frog pictures.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I am allergic to maths

Congrats!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Princess in Waiting

I don't look up frogs a lot so I don't have a website to lead you to. However, we have a gazillion tree toads here in FL that LOVE to sing at night (you should here them in August, which I mating season!). They of course find their way to our pool sometimes and your frog sounds like our toads.

The closest encounter I've had with one (much too close for my comfort) was one day when I had been to the bathroom then looked down as I was flushing the toilet. What th'??? I knew whatever it was hadn't come out of me and as the water started swirling legs came out, braced on side of the toilet and it was in the wastebasket. I was yelling for my husband. He rescued it from the dirty kleenex and put it outside - but it was brown and cream colored as you describe.

We once had a huge black frog in the pool that I didn't want to swim with; I took a few pictures (but don't remember where they are!) then we rescued him too.

I'll be interested in knowing if you find out just what kind of creature you have.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Oh no! I think I would completely freak out if a frog was in the toilet I just used. It's good your hubby saved him.
I don't think I would want to swim with a frog either.
Next time I see him I will try and get some pictures. He's hard to catch though. He is also hard to find.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would swim with a frog they are too cute! plus they don't bite

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

here is a site for ya http://www.nwf.org/FrogWatchUSA/frog...m?showstate=pa

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM

My parents pond might have a frog....I've seen it once. I think it roam between their pond and their neighbors.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

How cool! Might wanna make sure its not poisonous or anything, but then again, if you can't catch it, your pets prolly cant either.
I think i would go swimming with the frog, sounds kinda cool, but then again, i always thought it would be cool to put gold fish in a swimming pool

Great site Kendalle, I've been looking for a site like that to figure out what kind of toads we've been seeing in our back yard. I really hope there not poisonous or anything because I'm pretty much in love with them since they've been eating the june bugs, which i hate with a passion...

My Furry Family
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Herp Nerd

My guess would be that it would be a cricket frog, they're pretty common and can vary quite a bit in color and pattern. They, along with leopard frogs, often show up just about anywhere there's a permanent water source. Cricket frogs can be hard to tell from chorus frogs or peepers, if you don't know what you're looking for. Easiest way to tell what various species of frogs you have around your pond would be actually be to listen for them calling at night. There are several sites out there with frog call sounds.

All "true" toads are poisonous. One of the things that distinguishes them from frogs is two glands on either side of the back of their head that can excrete a poison onto their skin. Most species of toad aren't really a problem, but a few are toxic enough to be of a concern if for some reason you ingested the toxin - namely the cane toad. The common small toads one finds in the US are generally not going to be a threat, even to pets, unless they have prolonged exposure to multiple toads for some odd reason. Of course, there's always a risk of an adverse reaction, it is a toxin intended to deter predation, after all.

Toads are generally terrestrial. What are often referred to as 'tree toads' in North America are actually tree frogs. The gray tree frog is most often called a tree toad, because of it's slightly bumpy skin and different coloration.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep, all toads are poisonous to some extent but it is always good to deter your pets from trying to eat them anyway most try once and don't want to ever again anyway.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I didnt know all toads were poisonous, lol i always thought my mom was being paranoid when she told us kids not to touch them

I think ours is a Fowler Toad Cool lookin little things

My Furry Family
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Wow the Fowler Toad is adorable!
We have not seen our froggie friend in a while. I am pretty sure he's still around but he is just really shy. If this weather would warm up I think we may actually see him!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

You can have all our warm weather if you'd like! We mostly only see our toads if its been dry, We have a pan of water by our back door, it was ment for a birdbath, but the dogs seem to think the bird/toad flavored water taste better than fresh water.

My Furry Family

Tags
brown, frog