Photos! What to do about baby birds and birds? Plus Photos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Question What to do about baby birds and birds? Plus Photos

So we have a bunch of nests in our back yard and the babies are starting to come out to learn how to fly, but their just sitting in the grass.This is fine but I have my own dogs and I dog sit, so itn not safe having them there. I know my dogs wouldn't hurt them but the dogs I watch might. I could always shoo them under the fence in to the neighbors yard, but all but one have dogs and the one who has no dogs has kids that run around crazily and would injure the baby.And another thing is they can't go into wildlife rehab because their fledglings (their watching their parents) I found one today and the parents went crazy, so I know their taking care of him.

Another thing that were having trouble with is the birds is they are pooping on the side of the pool and on the cover and their dropping the poop from their nests onto the cover and when it rains its bring washed into the pool which seems to be extremely unhealthy.My dad is starting to get really pisses about this and the rest of my family including me is too.Is their anything we can do?

And heres some pictures of a pretty little red bird,that made himself comfy sitting in a chair, and the baby bird and parent (help identify please)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Princess in Waiting

What cool looking birds! I may be wrong but it seems to me that if their parents are teaching them to fly they shouldn't be around too much longer.

I don't know of anything you can do to prevent them from pooping in certain places, BUT I wouldn't think it would be any harm to the water in your pool as long as you keep the chemicals at the right level. You might want to take the water to a pool shop and get them to test it for you. (We've been having tons of rain in FL which messes up the balance in the pool.) We have tree frogs that jump in and out of the pool and they've never caused a problem.

Hope those baby birds take off soon so it isn't a worry to you.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks for the info. Were going to tie up old cds around the pool once we find no more babies.

Another things is all the babies are dying. I've picked up a little pigeon/dove yesterday and I picked up the baby from yesterdays pictures just a few minutes ago.Its really been rainy and stormy. The first baby was still in the nest,because the nest was on top of him when my brother found him, and the black baby was dead soaking in the grass.He was also covered in little mite like bugs when I picked him up.

I found another 2 live babies today also.One on the second floor window ledge and another sitting in a bush.Its supposed to rain again with thunder,and I'm worried that they will have the same fate as the other ones.Is their any thing we should do?

I've been going out every morning to check for babies and make note of them.And picking up dead bodies.We also tend to find adult birds with no heads.

And one more thing. What should we do with the bodies?We've just been putting them in bags and tieing the bag and then into another bag.Is there a better way to safely dispose of the bodies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Princess in Waiting

That's so depressing. I would always try rehabbing baby birds but they seldom made it. The decapitated adults would be the work of cats, I would think. Since you've been having a lot of rain the babies may have drowned. Without their full feathers the water soaks right through. (Even baby ducks can drown.)

Mites are not at all unusual on birds so I don't think that's part of your problem.

If it's going to storm again, I would suggest that you put the two that you've found in a box or cage, etc., and put it under a shelter. Their parents may be gone and they'll be more likely to survive the night some place warm and dry.

Good luck - let me know how it goes.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Curmudgeon

The red bird is a cardinal.

See if there is an experienced rehabber in your area that can take the fledgling. They may be cared for by a parent, but if they are in imminent danger, they should be gathered up for their own protection.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 AM

Poor birds. Cats may not be the problem with the little birds with no heads that you are finding. Unfortunately, I have seen this happen as I feed so many birds in my backyard, hawks swoop down and literally tear their heads right off. Sorry to be so graphic about it, but it happens. Poor little guys don't even have a chance. I was very angry at a neighbor's cat for a very long time until I actually saw this happen. eeewwwe. On a happier note, you have beautiful birds nesting in your yard! Hope some of them make it. Where we are, we have the threat of West Nile disease. If I had so many little birds dying, we would have to report it, and they would want to see the little birds, just to be safe.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

We I haven't found anymore babies in the past few days-were thinking their all flying or they have died.
All the babies had their heads I think they just died from being out in the rain and we've been having hail too,so they might have froze.

Its the adults who we find with no heads,but it doesn't look like the heads been ripped off more like its been like sucked into its body.The only thing I could think of that would kill a bird is cats or dogs -but my dogs aren't fast enough to catch a bird.And we don;t have any hawks here. I guess its going to be left a mystery