What kind of butterfly is this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of butterfly is this?

Earlier today I was outside and a butterfly was following me . It kept landing on me and flying around me in circles. I think it thought I was a flower since I was wearing bright pink .

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind it is?

A dragonfly was hanging around too:

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Got me..I couldn't find it through a search.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
Got me..I couldn't find it through a search.
I tried that first too but it doesn't seem to be one of the more common species.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Whatever it is... it's beautiful
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Herp Nerd

Hard to tell, but it looks like a Mourning Cloak. They're pretty common throughout the US.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
Hard to tell, but it looks like a Mourning Cloak. They're pretty common throughout the US.
Thanks, that looks like what it is .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Earlier today I was outside and a butterfly was following me . It kept landing on me and flying around me in circles. I think it thought I was a flower since I was wearing bright pink .

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind it is?

A dragonfly was hanging around too:

= ^ _ ^ =

Ah now that is a suprize !

Actualy there is a Pub not far from me that is Called the suprize and that butterfly is featured on the hanging board outside.

I have'nt seen one of these butterflies in person and would love to some day, I am sure it is of the nymphalidae family and it is not uncommon for butterflies of this family to follow people around.

After all The Comma butterfly over here in the UK does the same thing, I remember when I was young I often went walking all over the allotments in Shirley looking for comma butterflies just to see if the would land on my hand.

I also had them sit on my hand at a local golf course also in Shirley, I was at high school at the time.

= ^ _ ^ =

But dont let me fool you into thinking this butterfly is a Comma because it's not, I dont know where exactly this butterfly or Flutterby is native ?

But what you have there is a Camberwell Beauty, well at least thats what we call them over here in the UK, and a rare site they are too.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Last edited by Toky-Ohki; 07-02-2006 at 06:38 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Princess in Waiting

I agree with the above - I don't know much about butterflies, though, so I'd probably believe about anything! Very pretty - and I'm sure it was hanging around because you are sweet not 'cause of your clothes!!

The first picture that came up was the dragonfly and I was wondering about you if you didn't know what that was!! Then I got the whole thing and understood. (The blonde is way past needing to be re-done on my hair, which I think makes my thinking worse than when it's all blonde!)

Glad you had a camera handy. I never have mine at the right time. And there is one on my phone, but even tho my husband works for the company I don't know how to save and download those.

Thanks for the pretty picture!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Whom ever said it was a morning cloke is correct, old fold lore claims if you see one or it lands on you I dont rember wich it means some one close to you will die Just folk lore though
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

= ^ . ^ =

Charming !

In that case i'd stick with Camberwell Beauty, but Morning cloak most likely is correct in the U.S

= ^ _ ^ = * nods *

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.