What kind of insect is this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Question What kind of insect is this?

I found this on my back door just a few minutes ago. He was awfully big to be finding at 5:30AM as I'm letting the dogs in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bug7-19-06sm.jpg (59.5 KB, 64 views)

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Curmudgeon

Katydid (..did not! ...did too!)

I'd have to have it in hand to be sure of the exact species.

Here is an online key to identification if you really want to look it up.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Wow! Im sure they are harmless, but I would have probably screamed!! Haha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 AM

There are a lot of Katydids in PR. We call them "Esperanza" and people think it's good luck to find one. 8) I think they are cute. 8)

Once I was at my aunts house and we were in the patio talking and my sisters says "look, an esperanza" and I turn around "where?" and the thing flew and landed on my eyeglasses. I surely didn't wanted to see it that close!!! LOL I grabbed it and put it on a plant far away from us.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Princess in Waiting

I thought you were a Southern Girl!! Yep, Katydid is my answer too.
I don't think I'd want to come face-to-face with one at 5:30 a.m. though, even if they are harmless little critters.

When we were in Puerto Rico we didn't see many katydids, but there were a million of some kinds of little frogs that you didn't see so much as hear. Oh my goodness they liked to talk!! What are they called? I remember pictures of them on shirts, stuffed ones, etc.

We've had so much rain this season that so far we've fished 5 frogs (small ones) and one swimming mole out of the pool. I don't like the idea of being in the water with any of them!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittercall
When we were in Puerto Rico we didn't see many katydids, but there were a million of some kinds of little frogs that you didn't see so much as hear. Oh my goodness they liked to talk!! What are they called? I remember pictures of them on shirts, stuffed ones, etc.
Those are coquies!!! I love them!!!! There are 16 different species of them in PR and 2 that are already extinct . Only 2 of them do the "coqui" sound, the rest do different kinds of chirping and other noises. And people in Hawaii don't like them... heh.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crittercall
I thought you were a Southern Girl!! Yep, Katydid is my answer too.
I don't think I'd want to come face-to-face with one at 5:30 a.m. though, even if they are harmless little critters.
I'm a transplant from Ohio, remember?

Thanks for the answers. I knew I'd seen them before, but wasn't too thrilled to have him in my face as I opened the door to let the pups in!

Stephanie

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM

yeah - it's a katydid

they are really fun to play with! next time you see one gently pinch its leaf-like wings together and it will chirp!! gentle bugs are so much fun!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Princess in Waiting

Padfoot - thanks for the answers on the frogs. I loved listening to them but we could never catch sight of one!!

Sorry, Jade. I did forget that you weren't an original Southerner. That's okay - you're a good ol' gal anyway!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:51 PM

No problem, Critter. If you want to see a couple more pics I have, feel free to PM me. These guys seem to love getting into my room or bathroom and I have to take them out... plus I have taken some pics of them on the outdoors too. 8)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Those are coquies!!! I love them!!!! There are 16 different species of them in PR and 2 that are already extinct . Only 2 of them do the "coqui" sound, the rest do different kinds of chirping and other noises. And people in Hawaii don't like them... heh.

They had a whole Dora the Explore episode on these frogs (I have seen it about 100 times).... I think they are much cuter IRL than in the cartoon. One of my daughters Dora dolls actually has the little frog that sits on Dora's hand and does the little "coqui" sound.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
They had a whole Dora the Explore episode on these frogs (I have seen it about 100 times).... I think they are much cuter IRL than in the cartoon. One of my daughters Dora dolls actually has the little frog that sits on Dora's hand and does the little "coqui" sound.
Awww, that's cute!!! Now I like Dora... lol
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 PM

I found a katydid sitting on my porch last night. I nearly stepped on it, but looked down at the last second because I thought I saw a cat.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry Jade have no idea but it looks like tarantula food to me.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 PM

that is scary.. lol im not a HUGE fan of bugs..