what are these??!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Question what are these??!!

ok, i'm sitting on my porch in the backyard and something falls on my chair. i look down and it's a leaf from a tree. so i, naturally, glance up and this is what i see RIGHT ABOVE MY HEAD:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i so totally freaked out! i'd been sitting under that for a couple of hrs by now!

so my question is, what are they? my parents think either wasps or hornets. any guesses??

-update- i haven't even posted this yet and i just saw one in the computer room! i tried to keep it in this room and i went to get a towel to catch it in. but it was MIA by the time i got back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ooooo!!! How big are those things?!?!?! I don't know what they are but gees they're scary!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I don't know what they are, but I know I wouldn't want to mess with them! Holy crap! I think I would have poo'd myself had I seen that above my head!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Eeeek! Those are scary!!!! I don't what they are...but they are soo freaky!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:21 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:22 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Polistes or paper wasps are reddish-brown to dark brown, long legged insects with spindle shaped abdomens. These wasps feed abundalntly on corn earworms, armyworms, tobacco hornworms, etc..Paper-like nests, shaped like tiny umbrellas, are suspended by a short stem attached to eaves, windo frames, porch ceilings, attic rafters, etc. The paper material is derived from weathered wood or plant sources chewed and mixed with the sasp’s salivary secretions. If you have a deck, you’ve seen the paper wasp collecting wood for its paper making process.
Each nest consists of a horizontal layer or “tier” of circular comb of hexagonal (six-sided) cells not enclosed by a paper-like envelope. The ends of the cellas are open with the heads of the larvae exposed to view.
These wasps construct circular gray paper nests which resemble a honey comb from underneath and seldom exceed four inches in diameter. The nests are frequently found under the eaves of houses, in little used buildings and in attics. The nest are annual (used for only one year).
The typical mature colony of paper wasps will probably contain 30-75 adults and 100-200 cells, although larger colonies occur.

http://www.yardener.com/PaperWasps.html
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh my gosh those things are scary!!! They look like some kind of wasp to me. I'd be freaking out!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Good work Catherine! It's not my house, but I'd say from the pics it looks like you pegged 'em!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Princess in Waiting

I'd be putting out out a call for Rav!!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

omg Jane how scary!!!! I hate wasps!!! If we get a nest Alex has to kill them.....those thins terrify me!!! My sister got attacked by a couple of wasps a few years back...they just kept coming back and biting her...she felt sick for days afterwards and was in bed for three days...be really really careful!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:55 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

*squirms in her seat*

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Bees, wasps, hornets, they're the scariest things in the whole world!! Even though bees are just a pinch and I don't really have any reaction they're still too scary. I guess it's because they fly and it's hard to just run away.

They weren't making any noise?

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Run Forest Run!!!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:22 AM
Princess in Waiting

I'm moderately allergic to bees and extremely allergic to yellow jackets, so you best believe I'd be leaving the area. I'm good at pointing them out to Bub on the eaves of the house and telling him to kill it. They aren't really animals,are they?

The nest sounds very much like a yellow jacket nest, although they usually build their homes either under ground a ground (like a hold in the yard) or in a bush. I ran over a nest of them mowing the grass once, grabbed my kid and ran inside and didn't think any more about the lawn mower still running. My neighbor was very nice - he turned off the mower, moved it, and burned the nest for me.

I haven't looked at the picture closely because it is 6:20 a.m. now and I'd like to get some sleep with what is left of the night. Our a/c was struck by lightening around 2:30 and it is rather warm. I'd rather NOT go through another of those storms with no air conditioning!!

Keep us up-dated and I'll see what I can find out.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:32 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

OMG okay now I have the hibby jibbies, eww I just hate bees, wasps, hornets and all those things....YUCK!!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
dark brown