Wildlife Gardens - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wildlife Gardens

Do any of you have a wildlife garden? or anything in your garden to attract wildlife? We have just started doing our garden up and my main aim is to attract wildlife into it. I have added a bird table and various bird feeders and plan to add a water source, squirrel feeders, hedgehog house some more bird houses and a couple of bat houses aswell as plants and furniture. does anyone else have this sort of garden? if so any hints tips and pics would be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Zoo Keeper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeper to ;

1 Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Minx)
1 Jack Russell Cross (Flake)
1 Cat (Freddie)
1 Cold Water Aquarium
1 Tropical Aqarium
1 Rat (Neil)
1 Corn Snake (Norbert)

Come and see them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have created a wildlife garden in my garden, i have done so by using natural plants that attract wildlife such as butterflies, bees etc.... We also have a water feature and wooden structures and gravel that make the perfect homes for bugs such as lady birds to hide in and multiply Aswell as feeders and a couple of nest boxes for bats and the birds. I'm also organic and use no chemicals to kill off bugs, slugs etc i let nature take its course as chemicals are bad to wildlife especially ones used to kill slugs as they kill hedgehogs and other animals that eat them We regularly get squirrels, foxes, mice, shrews, voles, bats, rabbits, various birds and hedgehogs etc... in our garden and on a summers night it is lovely to sit out and smell the honeysuckle and watch the creatures go about their business. I will have to have a look to see if i have any pictures on the computer for you

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thats pretty much exactly what i am going for. I dont want to use any pesticides either because of my animals and any danger it may pose to them so it will all be organic.

The Zoo Keeper

Keeper to ;

1 Cat (Freddie)
1 Cold Water Aquarium
1 Tropical Aqarium
1 Rat (Neil)
1 Corn Snake (Norbert)

Come and see them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Title Thief Victim

I wanted to do it..but my house dont have any wildlife...maby a stray cat once in a while...i feed them lol...and i think we have a rat under our house.

I live on the corner of 2 main rd's so its a little hard. lol. but I do my best for birds and the rats..and cats that come around..i always put my left overs outside for them to munch at. they like the meat! lol but thats for the rats and cats...the birds have bird feededs lol I dont have any trees in my yard really..one is by the road but theres never nothing in it..so we dont have bird houses.

Carissasaurus Rex

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i have a wildlife garden to attract humming birds and butterflies..........ohh that s such a fun hobby cant wait till spring rolls along!

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well i have py up a load of bird feeders now and I am getting some housing for bats, hedgehogs, mice and getting some bricks to dril lholes in to attract insects. Later on i nthe year I will add some native English bulbs and some potted plants as well as a small water feature and a compost bin to attract as much as possible, il ltry and add some pictures here as I go.

The Zoo Keeper

Keeper to ;

1 Cat (Freddie)
1 Cold Water Aquarium
1 Tropical Aqarium
1 Rat (Neil)
1 Corn Snake (Norbert)

Come and see them all
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Princess in Waiting

Sounds wonderful! I live in an older subdivision in the city and don't think anything of that sort would work for me, but it would be great to watch. When we first moved to FL I was appalled at how skinny the squirrels are (duh - no need to fatten up for cold weather) and would put out food for both them and any birds that happened by. After the squirrels got into my attic and caused us to replace the plumbing I haven't been quite as kind!

I have a friend who lives in the country and she has two fountains, koi in one pond, and everything is done absolutely organically. It's really pretty and she takes a lot of joy in doing it. Good luck with yours! (And remember that you can also plant some herbs, etc. that you can use in your kitchen!)

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I already have herbs planted

I have had a robin, some magpies and a few other bitrds on my feeders and yesterday i added some air brick (bricks with holes in) to attract insect life.

The Zoo Keeper

Keeper to ;

1 Cat (Freddie)
1 Cold Water Aquarium
1 Tropical Aqarium
1 Rat (Neil)
1 Corn Snake (Norbert)

Come and see them all
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Title Thief Victim

if this counts.. haha..I have a shed that I put food in for the strays...and skunks and ect. lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

There is no Minibeast habitat better than a pile of old bricks , if you can get engineering bricks with the three holes in that does help , but any old and rough brick is good , reclaimed bricks and even ones you found at the back of your garden hidden away or dug up can be used.

Also if you have access to any sawn logs or sections of branch you can make a minibeast log pile that will slowly rot down in time , a good natural habitat.

Also the best minibeast home I found by accident was in fact a upturned multicelled firework , covered with roofing felt on the top and all around the circumfrence..

I had a round one with 88 diferent cells and I would often see spiders , woodlice , Ladybirds and the odd Millipede and Centipede in there.

I have 6 bird fat balls to hang up myself but I just dont have the time , and where I live now I only have a four stemmed ash tree at the back in the communal and a Mountain ash thats outside the front of my flat where I can hang them.

I have seen Starlings and Blue tits out front in the Rowan and I have heard but not seen a Goldcrest out the back in the conifers.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my backyard is sort of a wildlife backyard...for the birds. We have a nesting pair of barn owls about 9 dove nests and then theres our friendly crow that craves attention...and lately a hawk has decided he likes to sleep here lol...then theres all the stray cats, we built a warm place for all of them in multiple dog houses in a secluded area thats fenced in so the dogs don't disturb them...so on nights where we are under a freeze warning they can sleep in something warm and then there is the pile of logs we put out with gaps and such that worked great in attracting gartner snakes...its a fun place to kick back in all in all

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
nest box, stray cats