The Wilds of Central Florida - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool The Wilds of Central Florida

Okay, a lot of you saw the picture I posted of the buzzards (or whatever they were) chowing on the armadillo that someone had run over in front of our house. So we know that they are around here somewhere; I'm going to have to do some reading up and find out more about the little fellers!

And if you read many of my posts you know about my sleep problems and know that my sleep time is usually from about 2 a.m. until 10 a.m. - no matter what I do. (Hey, that's 8 hours - just not normal eight hours!).

This morning at 6:45 Bubba came bounding in the room saying "come look, come look there's an armadillo in the back yard". By the time I got out there he had waddled around the side of the house (the armadillo, not Bubba - although Bubba was following talking to him). Such odd looking guys! We have a lot of ferns growing in one corner of our yard and he headed deep into those.

We still had to let the dogs out for their morning rituals and I was kind of concerned about them chasing after him. Ha. Cavaliers and Shihtzus are not hunting dogs, I assure you. There was no sniffing of an armadillo trail for my girls. They're more concerned with getting their feet wet.

A couple of days ago Bub had let the dogs out for their last trip before going to bed. I was sitting in the office and he came in and asked if I wanted to see the turtle in our pool. We had a great big (really, one of the biggest ones I've seen) box turtle on the top step going down into the pool. Bubba used the net and pulled him out and put him on the other side of the fence, where he could go past the boat and be free.

Don't we have fun? Erin is giving me a good education in box turtles since she had one lay eggs in her front yard, but I need to study the 'dillo's myself.

Next time I'll try to get pictures. Right now I'm without photo software......

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 AM

How neat! They are such ancient looking critters. I need pictures!!

Snooper licked an armadillo once (he was in our yard when we lived in AL) She'll lick anything...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

My camera would have had to be beside the bed and I would have had to be alert enough to grab it and shoot - and still am not sure I would have gotten anything! It wasn't slow - but I'll keep my eye out for him!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I just found this section and had to comment!
I travel to south Florida frequently because I have a lot of family that has migrated there.
On one trip I was driving on I95. There was amazingly no traffic so I was taking my time and not driving that fast.
Ahead of me I could see something roundish and odd looking - something moving slowly across the road... I was in the right hand lane and as I came up on it I thought it was an armadillo- but had no idea at the time that they live in that area! I thought I was seeing things!
The kids were chattering, "It looks like an armadillo!"...

Well- sad ending to this story - since I wasn't even sure it was an animal and not a random chunk of truck tire rolling in the road...and it all happened so fast - I didn't have time to stop- and crunch

It scared us all because it made such a loud crunching sound- I pulled onto the shoulder and looked back.
There it was - a flattened armadillo

Since that happened, whenever I am driving on I95 I look at the random roadkill and I have seen at least three or four dead ones off to the side of the road on the shoulder. I have yet to see a live one, but now I know they are around down there!

I suppose since they aren't that speedy they are easy prey for truck and car tires

I don't suppose an "Armadillo Crossing" sign would be very practical either...

Odd and ancient looking creatures they are indeed.

[center]

[

Tags
box turtle, lay eggs