Would a squirrel have a litter now? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Would a squirrel have a litter now?

We have squirrels running all over the place in our back yard, I could have sworn I saw one carrying a VERY young baby while running along the top of our fence today. Is there any chance of them littering now? I read something online that if there's adequate food squirrels will produce a second litter in "mid-summer"...but it's October. Just wondering if my eyes were deceiving me, but that's what it really looked like. I also wonder why the baby, if that's what it was, was being moved...do they do that often? I'm just full of questions, lol. I've just never seen anything like that before.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Princess in Waiting

Hi Millie -
Back in "the day" (when I did rehab) it was not totally unusual to see some baby squirrels this time of year. A lot depends on the weather, or course (I was in KY at the time). I would say that it wouldn't be unusual for her to be moving her baby (or babies) if she felt threatened where they had been OR there is the possibility that the baby she was carrying to another location was not healthy and she was getting it out of the nest. Amazing that Mother Nature shows wild animals (and some tame ones, too) which are the weakest.

Are you putting out food for them? I used to keep a mixture of cracked corn and bird seed so that the wild birds and squirrels could share. So many people hate squirrels because they get into the bird feeders. I have had to stop feeding them here in FL because last year one got into the crawl space under our roof and wreaked absolute havoc with our plumbing. We would wake up every morning it seemed with water dripping from our ceiling somewhere. It really doesn't help them endear themselves to you when they've cost you so much money!

I'd keep my eyes open for her if I were you. You may be able to follow her visually and find out where the nest is and see if she continues to stay there or not. And maybe you'll have a whole new family on your hands!

Good Luck!
Critter

Are your kitties indoor/outdoor? If they are outside they will have a certain knack for finding any babies around, and they don't treat them in a neighborly fashion!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Last edited by Crittercall; 10-01-2006 at 09:39 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks, maybe I really did see it then, how cool! I'll keep an eye out and see if I notice where she may have gone. The trees in shrubs in our backyard (and our neighborhood in general) seem to be a veritable squirrel buffet from what I've read online (and from the numbers I see running around), so I just let the critters fend for themselves. Seeing that tiny little baby though with this cold weather rolling in, I'm tempted to put some food out. If I put some out now, do I have to put it out all winter?

Also, my cats are indoors only kitties, so no danger from my litter monsters. They'll have to settle for attacking the fake rodents!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Title Spy

In the past two or three weeks, I noticed one of the local squirrels (I might as well name them, I can tell them apart lol) was very pregnant. She doesn't look pregnant anymore but has teats so I'm gonna say she's got babies stashed away somewhere. The squirrels around here are almost overfed. We go through a 2kg bag of food every two days. They eat a KILOGRAM of food a day, haha. The bluejays eat it too though so it's not just them. I swear they go and tell their friends because the amount of wildlife in my yard has greatly increased lately.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Princess in Waiting

Glad to hear that the squirrels are thriving!! I enjoyed raising the orphans that I got, but my daughter protested so much that I finally made a deal with a friend who really loved squirrels that we would swap squirrels for raccoons and both be happy. My friend would sit at her picnic table every morning and crack pecans for the squirrels. Talk about having them named and knowing their habits! (My daughter had issues because she has lots of blonde, curly hair that the baby squirrels always thought was a nest and I would have to untangle them from her head when she tried to feed them.)

I love hearing the stories of these guys. And I know how much food you can go through with them! I used to have a squirrel feeder that I bought at Lowe's or Home Depot that was really simple - just a square piece of wood a foot or so long with long nails going through it. You put the whole ears of dried corn on them and the squirrels loved it. It would probably be easy to make, but I'm not too handy with a hammer!

Have fun - and keep in touch with what these guys are doing.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
dried corn, wild animal, wild animals