Wounded Bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Wounded Bird

My friend just found a wounded bird on her lawn. It seems to have a broken wing and sprained leg. She put it in a tank like the ones for fish, and is feeding it bird seed and giving it water. She called the animal control people but they wouldn't do anything. She thinks it's a purple gracken(?) Is there anything alse she can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She needs to call a wildlife rehabilitator. She'd be better off not feeding the bird anything until she speaks with them. It's usually illegal to keep a wild animal without a federal permit. Any local ER vets should have numbers for her to call.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I'll call my friend as soon as possible and tell her to call those people. But the animal control people were really rude to her, they asked her if she was drunk. It was really funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Sadly, the bird died yesterday. My friend was just about to call the wildlife people, I was there, and we found the bird dead. I was upset, I really wanted to help it, but I guess it couldn't have been halpe anyways. It had a messed up wing and leg. It's still so sad. Why do things like that happen to poor little animals?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Princess in Waiting

During my rehab experience, I found the animal control people to be the most inexperienced when it came to wildlife, and the most anxious to get it out of their hands. (This was MY experience, I'm sure that there are others somewhere that are more concerned.) The rehabbers in our area were very loosely organized, but we did know which one of us to call for what and we all had the number of one lady who would always take songbirds (and we all appreciated her, because they are very difficult to work with). Personally I would call my veterinarian before I call the animal control because he is most likely to know someone OR would take it in himself.

(We had someone come to our office once and ask if we were the people who took in wild animals. The receptionist said yes, but couldn't get any info out of him regarding type of animal, etc. He came back a few minutes later w/two kittens who didn't even have their eyes open and were crawling w/fleas. I had never worked w/such a small kitten but one of the other girls working there did. We tried hard to get them to eat, etc., but ultimately found out that they had FeLV. Coulda choked that guy!!)

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
animal control, wild animal, wild animals