Animal Shelter Volunteering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues and Shelters Rescue and Shelter Listings

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Animal Shelter Volunteering

Hello, a group of students and I are making a collaborative group project dedicated mainly to helping animals that have been abandoned and left in shelters. At the current moment we are only in the brainstorming stage of ideas that we could possibly use to help various shelters in Colorado and I was hoping some of you may be able to offer up your own ideas.

We understand that we could raise money for these shelters but we would also like to take it a step further than that but are unsure of how to go about it. We are all still minors so volunteering at the shelter is something we are unable to do as is fostering dogs. Our homes will not allow pets for various reasons such as allergies.

This is a list of the ideas we have come up with so far. If you could add even more that would be great.

Ideas:
Hold a "Walk for Dogs" in which we would initially end or start at a shelter. There would be a registration fee of perhaps five or ten dollars and extra donations would be asked for as well during the walk. This walk includes pets and their owners as well as those without pets.
Bake sales at various pet-friendly stores such as PetSmart where we would sell baked goods for both owners and dogs.
"Dog Washes" with a fee of ten dollars.
Place various ads around our school and perhaps the newspaper about animals in need of a family.

We understand that this is a rather short list that isn't too creative so if you could help us expand this list that would be great. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I volunteer at a shelter right now too and I am glad to help! All of your ideas sound so cool, I wish I could have a group like yours

This is one idea that actually my friend thought of, but I think it will help possibly help you out. The animal shelters do need donations, but what they need more is to get animals adopted. So you could help a shelter make a giant mobile adoption! With tables and cages you could bring the shelters animals to a field or parking lot, and adopters can come and take a look and play with the animals and hopefully adopt! Its a big job, but I think it would help them out a lot. Just an idea

Also what I do is make care packages to send to the shelters. I have cats at home and after I empty the cat litter containers...I fill them will toys and treats for cats and dogs and bring them to the shelters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can host a walk for dogs that instead of ending at the shelter bring shelter dogs for those that don't have dogs can walk shelter dogs. Plus some may get adopted, some can't have dogs, more will volunteer

You could have people sponsor the dogs as well, one dollar for every blocked walked or something like that.

You could set up a walking fee as well, either bring a can of dog food, box of dog treats, dog toy or whatever will help dogs will pass the fee

[/CENTER]

Last edited by Kendalle; 08-27-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think some of these ideas are quite good. I don't think you should necessarily put a firm fee on these events. You should ask for monetary or pet-related donations to participate. A lot of people will still give you $10 and that way you won't miss out on people who only have a few dollars to spare, and more people = more awareness. Like Kendalle said, any food, treats, toys, beds, etc. that people don't need anymore could be collected for your cause.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Curmudgeon

We did a nice twist on the "car wash" idea. We did a free car wash. You get people to pledge an amount of money per every car you wash. Then you wash the cars for free. You'd be amazed at how many people will show up for a free car wash. Everyone wins.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Dog washes might be tricky because even professionals have to muzzle the dogs, because you never know if they are going to try to nip. Maybe a car wash could be better. Like Bob said you could have a sponsor car wash, or you could have a free wash where the people pick their price and maybe $10 is average. Many people will probably do more if they know it is for a great cause. Just another idea (:

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I worked full time at a shelter one summer in new york. I was 16 at the time, so it doesn't really matter if you're a minor to be able to volunteer at a shelter I think. We had a room full of cats that could be out of their cages, and we'd have volunteers come and play with them, as well as volunteers to walk the dogs (it was my job during the week to walk all 40 of them, and on weekends I'd clean the whole place with bleach, brush the cats and walk the dogs volunteers didn't, lots of pit bulls so some people didn't want to walk them).

You should be able to volunteer to play with/brush the cats and walk the dogs that are good leash walkers even if you're a minor! It really helps their behavior and helps them get adopted when people visit!

You could maybe ask local newspapers to run an add on a specific dog or cat that needs to be adopted soon. Our shelter got a page in the local news because we didn't have anymore space at the shelter and would need to euthanize dogs to make space we had LOTS of potential adoptants that weekend after it was published!

And yeah, asking people to donate food, toys, treats etc is great!
We'd give treats to the dogs at the shelter once a day and it would make them SO happy!

Tags
animal shelter, volunteering