Confused - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues and Shelters Rescue and Shelter Listings

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question Confused

Hi all,
I'm not sure where to post this but I'm going to try here lol
Okay Saturday I was outside in my horse field/Pasture when a lady came up and asked me if I lost a bloodhound? Well I told he that I hadn't and she continued to say that their was one running loose in the road that joins into ours. She said that she was going to call and leave a message for animal control. We only have a small humane society and when animals are picked up by them they have 30 days to be claimed or adopted and then they are put to sleep. Well I didn't want that to happen to this dog and besides that the road they she was wondering on is a very busy road for wood trucks and other large type vehicles. So I didn't want her to get hit either. So my cousin was here and I got her to drive me down there to see what kind of shape and everything the dog was in and I wanted to try to get her out of the road before something happened to her. Well we got down there and she was EXTREMLY under weight and didn't have a collar on and she looked as though she had just had puppies taken away from her. I got out to try to see if she was friendly and she was. Other than being scared to death. Well She climbed up in the back of the car and I brought her to my house. Since then she has been staying here with me and I have been taking care of her. What are the right things to do in order to try and find her owners? I mean I would love to keep her if she isn't someones pet. I don't want someone to be looking for a family pet and I not know it. But I also don't want someone to just come and get her either. I mean after the condition I found her in and all... I mean I think instead of me just letting her go to the first person that comes they should have to have a reason why she was loose and as poor of condition she was in and they should also have to identify her...Am I wrong? Can I do that or do they have the right to just get her? She's a wonderful dog. She knows how to come and sit and all kinds of things. Since I have had her here she has gained every bit of 5 lbs. I have asked around and we ( myself and few other people that are helping me ) can't even find anyone in our area that owns blood hound's and I have been checking the papers for any lost dog ads...But it's not unusual for dogs to be dropped off near me...So I don't know what to do. Any help would be great
Thanks

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

Have you had her scanned for a micro-chip? She could be miles and miles away from home. That can happen sometimes. The poor babies get out and then get confused trying to find there way home, she could have been walking for days trying to get home. If they took the time to train her right, then they are probably good owners. Stuff happens. I would take her and get her scanned for a micro chip, if that doesn't work, you might try taking an add out in a couple of newspapers. Of course I wouldn't let her go home with the first person who contacts me, I would make them describe her in full detail, and have proof that they owned her. In example pictures of her with there family. Good luck.

There is no one TRUE way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

If you take out an ad or put up signs you could be really vague about her. Maybe just saying found dog. Make them tell you her breed and sex. I would have her checked for a microchip. Many pure breeds come with them now. Both of mine are chipped. I commend you for not wanting to take someones beloved pet but I also think you need to make sure that they are her true owners. It really sounds to me like a breeder dump. I am glad that you found her. She is lucky.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I know this sounds wrong but in a way I kind of don't want her owners to show up. lol I have fell in love with her! and it's hard not to do. She's so loving and wants your attention at all times. She's wonderful! I don't know how someone could do that to her. But I did call my vet and they don't me to bring her in up there to have her checked ( make sure she's alright) and they said they could check for the micro chip for me. I have but flyers up and everything. I guess now the only thing I can do is sit and wait and pray for the best. Thanks to you both for your helpful advise! It's greatly appreciated! I'll update as to what happens to her !

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

To be honest if Tabatha's owners showed up today and wanted her back I know I could not hand her over. I completely understand how quickly a four legged kid can get so deeply into your heart!
Well I hope no one shows up for her then!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 05:58 PM

If you are putting up fliers and the real owners show up, and have proof. You legally need to release the dog to them. BUT you also have the right, I believe to ask for reimburstment for vet bills, and in some cases bording of the dog while in your care.
It could be the dog was lost for a long while, and it was in great shape prior to coming up missing. If they are looking for the dog, they may try looking on Craigslist. It is getting very popular.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM

the humane shelter requires a dog licenece to give a dog back i would keep the flyers up and put an add in the newspaper for a week what your discribeing sounds like a dumbed dog. do you still have her any updates???
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Give discription to the humane society, and vet. say she is in your care and your willing to keep her and they should be willing to be the go between, someone calls and is looking for her they will contact you (side note: blood hounds are great sniffers and can sniff and sniff and sniff until they are a long way from home and dont know how to get back anymore... )

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i'd say she didn;t have a collar and was in rough shape. regardless of that being a nice breed of dog, it could be some hunter dude with a shack out back full of huntin dogs. maybe she broke out looking for food because she couldn;t feed her puppies? finders keepers. poor thing

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Mel

If I put up posters, I'd just say found dog and where she was found. That's it.

But I'd keep her. She was obviously NOT being someone's pet when you found her. We have a mini schnauzer that we found like that, and he had been abused and obviously on the street for a long time... we figured who ever had lost him had given up a long time ago.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Title Thief Victim

so what happend to her..this was posted in august..did her owners come or what or was the date posting wrong haha

Carissasaurus Rex

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

**Update**
No one ever showed up/called/ or claimed Dixie. We called the animal control to see what they told us and they said we done all we could do and it sounded like someone didnt want her. So we kept her up until last month.A close friend of mine had her bloodhound of 18 yrs put to sleep. She had went blind and was pretty bad off (she raised her from a pup) there was nothing else they could do for her. But my friend was really upset and I decided to give Dixie to her to kind of help her get over her dog passing on. She is now inside house dog. She's been spayed and up to date on everything. And now believe it or not is a little over weight. She's spoiled rotten and I see her at least once a week. She's definatly living the good life now. This is the kind of happy ending I love to happen! hope everyone enjoyed reading about her!!

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 PM

Yay!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 AM

so did you get to keep her??? update???
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww thats good, im glad that shes safe and that you get to see her

Carissasaurus Rex

Tags
animal control, humane society