Accident!! Freaking out here.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Accident!! Freaking out here....

So, when I let my girls out to play, it's in a penned in area of the floor. So, yesterday I clean out their cage while playing with them (talking, sitting in the play area) and i'm sitting on my knees. I go to shift my weight from my bad ankle to my good, and there's a goo under me!! oh my god she just squawked, then i jumped, then she ran uynder her cage. i grabbed a flashlight and was looking at her and i swear she was dying. and i'd crushed her little body. i gently touched her and she didn't move, she just looked akward and her head was slowly lowering to the ground. i was bawling, i ran upstairs to get my man and he helped me move the cage to scoop her out from under it. i laid her in the cage, her eyes were barely open, and open at different amounts, she looked like she'd been smashed upside the head. i was still bawling. she chose a spot and slept all night, almost like when she was sick last week from the bad sugary food. poor tpol didn't understand why her friend was so lazy, so i stayed right beside the cage and talked to her and begged forgiveness for crushing her. long sobby story short, i woke up this morning and she's still alive, but she's acting slow. she's a little timid, she doesn't understand why she was hurt, i just keep saying i'm sorry and hand feeding, she jumps anytime a body moves or walks, poor thing. i'm glad she's up and movign around, i did'nt want to have to go get her put down. i know i've scarred her for life, i can't believe i did this, i feel so horrible, i can't let it go, i'll hold this against me forever.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Dont hold it against yourself, it was an accident, you didnt mean to hurt her! I Know you would never hurt her on purpose! At least shes up and moving a little, sounds like she should be fine =)
I had my chinchillas out once and I was walking across my room and Marlo just RAN Right under my food when I was stepping down, I didnt put all my weight on him, but a majority was! He cried, bit me then ran to the cage, it took me a while to earn his trust back. He didnt know I didnt mean to do it... that it was an accident. And your little degu doesnt know it was an accident either. It might take time for her to get over the shock. But she will!! Dont worry, I know how you feel, but it will get better! =)
-Nikki
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I've shut rat tails in the cage door before. I've gotten bites from it but for some reason the rats forgave me right away. I guess it's their personalities and them being loyal.

I'm sure with a few days and a lot of treats she'll be okay.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 PM

things like that happen.. you had to understand that. they may be timid for a little while but it will pass.. im sure it just scared her because she didnt know what happened. im glad she made it through and is up and moving around. just keep an eye on her. but really dont be so hard on yourself, accidents happen.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

well she IS better today, but she's grumpy and shy, and doesn't want to be groomed. she makes angry noises when tpol gets snuggly. what do you all recommend as treats for degu's? i just use their food, i seem to trick them most of the time. but i want a real treat for them, especially now. i don't have a lot, being on social assistance, i practice preventative medicine which always keeps things in budget. I have raisins, although i've hear they're bad so i haven't given any. what about sticks. in the wild, stick in their nests signify dominance, so if i went outside to a good tree and got some twigs and branches, you think i could give them to her as a gift? i wonder if she'd get it lol

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Part of the Pack

At the zoo we give them dried carrot slices and Sweet Potato.. They LOVE sweet potato.. they Fight eachother for it! We buy the baby food kind also and they will lick it from your hand. Other than that we give them alfalfa hay. =)
Try sweet potato if you havent already!

--make sure you peel the sweet potato first if you dont buy the baby food kind!
also, make sure its not orange.. those are yams! (just stick your fingernail into the potato before buying and if its white-ish its a sweet potato, if its orange, its a yam! its hard to tell at the store i go to cause they put them right next to eachother and theres only one sign! ugh! =)

Last edited by nik8806; 12-20-2006 at 08:22 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Mel

Oh, my cat, when he was little, had this knack for getting right under feet. He'd be across the room, and then zoom under your feet as soon as you started walking. Needless to say, he got stomped a few good times. I know he's bigger than your baby, but he was mad for a few days after, and then got over it.

I've also shut the tip of my dogs tail in the door once (well, not all the way, obviously that would take a bit of effort since she's a dane and that's a huge tail), and she whined for a few mins and then forgave me. I felt SO absurdly bad though!

Most animals are pretty forgiving, esp if you're their person, ya know? She'll feel better soon and forgive you, I'm sure.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Don't blame yourself accidents happen and degus are quick and i know i have had a couple of near misses myself and i'm always so careful Keep a close eye on here for the next few days and shower her with extra love and treats and i'm sure she will come round

Treatwise there is loads you can give your degu. I have a list on my degu information site if you want to have a look. http://degurock.moonfruit.com Some of it is store cupboard stuff such as dried peas but always remember they are treats and should only be given as so and in moderation. Some treats are better for degus then others so always bare that in mind. Veggies can also be given as a treat on a regular basis and we all usually have fresh veggies knocking around

Wood is good to keep degus amused but remember a lot of woods are toxic to degus so try to stick to kiln dried pine from the wood yard of if you are collecting locally look for eating apple, hazelnut or hawthorne. Always pick away from roadsides and make sure nothing has been sprayed on the wood (try to get it from a friend or neighbour who practices organic gardening). I always scrub the wood when i get it home to remove any bugs etc and then i either pour boiling hot water on it and leave it to dry out or i bake it, if is as a precaution to kill of anything living in the wood and kill off any germs. They always go mad for branches here and usually strip the bark off first

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks so much guys. i'll do some fresh veggies (some). Last night I sat by their cage a lot and talked to them. i added a new jeans tube into the cage for exploring. not as mant angry sounds when grooming now. I gave them a sand bath so see what her mobility was like. she didn't get as "into it" with the sand bath, she more just laid on each side then shook the sand off. she seems okay though. I hope she doesn't die in a week or something

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Accidents happen! I am glad she is coming round.

I have squished ratty paws and tails in the cage doors as well.I was never nipped for it,but was "yelled" at! I feel so bad when I do that.But it is an accident.Rats are forgiving tho!

Oh,another thing when you get sticks...it is a good idea to freeze them as well,as sometimes there may be mites or some other parasite on the inside.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Heya guys, updating on how she it after i squashed her. She's still alive! yaaayyyY!!!!!!! she's runnin on the wheel a little better, she takes more animated dust baths, today she jailbroke as soon as i opened the door, so i know she's back to her old self lol. she's still shy, but has her spunk back. i came down with an ugly flu over the last night, so today i have a blanket wrapped around me. well when she jailbroke, after i caught her, she just curled up in the blanket with me and took a nap!!!! a degu did this!!!! i coudln't believe it!!! i figue maybe she was cold and just using me lol. but whatever, it made my day, what a wonderful christmas present! fell asleep on my hand all buried in blanket, with just her head poking out so i could see her, oh!!! so cute!!! i WISH i could have gotten the camera, oh man, she snoozed for a good 10 minutes before she started scurrying on me again. at least i know she's not afraid of me, what a princess!!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Part of the Pack

glad to hear! I knew she would be okay. That is adorable how she slept on you =) cute cute cute.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

i know!!! i couldn't believe it! i still can't believe it!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i sat on my rat once, it made her squeek i felt horrible but it didnt hurt her at all i think it just scared her a bit she forgave me with a yogurt drop

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 PM

well i guess she forgave you that is really trusting to fall asleep in your hand i cant imagine it
good job
ace ventura
animal guru

Tags
alfalfa hay, dried pine, dust bath, dust baths, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store