Advice For Introducing Goos! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Advice For Introducing Goos!

Today i finally got a new baby boy :] He is so cute and already pretty friendly (he is 4 weeks old) but i want to make sure i am properly introducing him to my big boy Edgar (2 years)

Right now i have them in completely separate cages next to each other so they can sniff. I plan on letting them officially meet in one week, although i must admit i can't wait to introduce them!

Edgar seems really excited and keeps trying to break free of his cage when the little one starts hopping around. He was making the little chirp he does when i play with him. The baby however seems a little more scared and made a lower pitched wary noise.

I did notice Edgar marking his cage and even tried to mark me when i let him out for his run DX

So any advice on how i introduce him? I plan on doing it in the bathtub, for a "neutral" territory since Edgar never goes in there usually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, only 4 weeks? He should be easy to introduce but was separated from mom at an awfully young age.

While you're keeping the cages next to each other you can also mix up the bedding to mix their scents between the cages . Letting them share a dust bath also helps.

Keep the first meeting short and make future meetings gradually longer provided they get along fine. The baby might be scared and may even nip but Edgar should recognize the other degu as a baby and not hurt him (he may shove or "yell", though).

If the meetings go well and they seem to be doing well, have them share a dust bath before putting them in the same cage. The cage should be cleaned out beforehand.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the tips!

I recounted he is actually 5 weeks almost 6 (although im not sure that makes much of a difference) how old are they usually supposed to be before seperation? (i could e-mail the woman i got him from and let her know to hang onto her other baby a little longer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellTaleHeart View Post
Thanks for the tips!

I recounted he is actually 5 weeks almost 6 (although im not sure that makes much of a difference) how old are they usually supposed to be before seperation? (i could e-mail the woman i got him from and let her know to hang onto her other baby a little longer)
5-6 weeks is the norm so that seems fine .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
introducing degus