Alfalfa Hay - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Alfalfa Hay

I ordered 50 lbs of timothy hay for my chinchillas and degus and when I got it home it looked different from the normal hay that I get from the pet shop. I believe it's probably alfalfa and they just made a mistake. The difference that I can see is that it doesn't have any of the little furry cone things in it like the timothy hay does, and that its not as soft, it's actually more stick like.

I'm keeping the hay because my chinnies will eat it and it's fine for them, but my worry is about the degus. I seen before that degus shouldn't have too much alfalfa so I'm just wondering if this is "too much" alfalfa for them. Their food consists of half chinchilla pellets which are alfalfa based. About a week ago I gave them a little bit of the hay just for them to try it and to see if they like it and they loved it. Today I picked up a small handful of the little leaf things that fall off of the hay and let them eat some out of my hand for a little treat. Is this ok to do? Can I feed them the alfalfa hay on a daily basis? Maybe even every other day or once a week?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think a little bit would be fine once in a while but too much is bad for degus. I personally don't feed it at all except for the occasional alfalfa block (they are mixed with the rabbits' food and the bunnies hate them) but the degus don't really eat them anyways, they just like to chew them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Alfalfa hay varies quite a bit from cutting to cutting. Late season cuttings (which are what we see most of now in the winter) is alot "stickier" and drier than early season cuttings.

It's not necessarily bad, its just not quite as nutritous. For your Degus, it's probably better, than the the early season stuff.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, and here's a post made a few years ago that I found:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...t=alfalfa+degu

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Where did you get the hay?

Stephanie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Jade - I got it from OntarioChinchillas.com
Sasami- thanks for the link
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I totally agree its ok fed in small amounts, just don't over feed it and i'm sure they will be fine

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, pet shop, timothy hay