alot of heat...iced water bottle? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Question alot of heat...iced water bottle?

i must say lol to me like making almost all the new posts here i'm always full of questions i guess but how else do you learn?? no other way unless you ask/inquire/find out

so on to the topic....it's like 80-some degrees F in my apt. should i worry about Jager being too hot? should i/can i give him a water bottle w/frozen water in it for him to lay against if he wants?? he's my baby and i don't want him to suffer if he's too hot or uncomfortable in anyway.... thanks,
concerned mommy,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 PM

I'd use a glass jar, this way when it melts, he can't chew throught it and get water all over his house.
I also put crushed ice in the water bottles.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:29 AM

My girls love the "Chin-chiller" tile. I usually stick it in the fridge for five minutes and then put it in their cage. It's marble so it will stay cool for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:36 AM

And if you don't have a chin-tile, or a glass jar, you can take like a metal can of beans (or whatever) and freeze it, and refreeze it... It's metal so it won't be chewed like a plastic bottle, and canned food is inexpensive and most people have it already...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

All my boys have ceramic tiles (ones like you have in the kitchen or bathroom as same principle as the chin chiller tile) that i keep cool for them in the fridge if it gets really hot. I also keep there cages out of direct sunlight and make sure they have plenty of fresh water. They also have rocks to lay on plus a ceramic sand houses so they have a choice when the temperature rises. Although i have to say it doesn't seem to bother them and they carry on as normal but we don't get over excessively hot over here in the UK. A frozen water bottle is a very good idea though

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Well Jager has been really inactive during our hot heat spells where our outside temps are exceeding 90's everday!! it was 94 today and he was very lazy!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You will find they do become lazy in the heat. Degu's cannot sweat so they tend to keep quiet and lay flat out to try and stay cool as laying on their bellies is a heat releasing mechanism

Kirsty

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
You will find they do become lazy in the heat. Degu's cannot sweat so they tend to keep quiet and lay flat out to try and stay cool as laying on their bellies is a heat releasing mechanism
ok good to know he did roll over on his back once yesterday but it looked like he was just stretching b/c he then got up and took a dust bath and ran around like crazy....i'm gonna look into getting him something cool for him to lay on it looks like
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:01 PM

Sounds like even if he doesn't need something cool, he'd probably appreciate it on the hotter days. For my rabbits I give them tile.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's will sleep on there backs also even when they are kept alone, when there is more than one they pile on top of each other even if it is warm and it is just the cutest thing

Kirsty

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Ceramic or marble tiles work great! I always have to consider the heat with my chins. Putting a tile in the fridge for a while then sticking it in their cage is a good solution. =)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Lately I've been putting my boys' dust bath in a ceramic bowl that's been in the fridge so they're rolling around on a cold surface (I find that they tend to avoid laying on the tiles, they just lick them a bit and walk away). They seem to love it
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Jager treats the tiles as though it is a landing strip for alien space craft!!! must try something else.... dang kid anyways!!

Tags
canned food, dust bath