Am I imagening things?!? How good hearing do they really have? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Am I imagening things?!? How good hearing do they really have?

Dear all. I know that degus have really good hearing abilities. I am wondering just how good their hearing is...

This has happened many times now. I can be lying in bed, all is quiet, for like 10 minutes. The door is closed and there is a hallway before you get to the living room, where my degu family lives. Then I turn around to get up and they start squeking! Hehe. It happened again yesterday. I was sitting in the kitchen reading a book, door closed, all silent. Then I flipped a page that made a sound, I could almost not hear it myself, and the squeking started again. As I said this has happened many times. I can be behind closed doors and make a small noise, and they react to it on the other end of the apartment. Am I just being paranoid, or are their hearing abilities really this good?

Trinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They have much better hearing than us . And it's definitely not unheard of for animals to "sense" people, as well.

My rabbit, Fiona, knows when I'm going to go to bed. See, right before I go to bed, I give the rabbits fresh hay and sometimes some veggies. The moment I decide to go to bed, I'll suddenly hear her chewing on the bars loudly and jumping around. I'm not sure if I have some sort of routine that she recognizes the sounds of or if it's something else, but it's pretty interesting!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think it's entirely possible that they can hear everything that goes on in your apartment. Many animals have much better hearing than humans do.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Newborn Pup

my degu know when im coming upstairs!! right when i get up from the couch or the chair. i can hear them squeaking. in we live in a large house. so yea, they have great hearing. sometimes i feel like their watching me and learn when i do things, cause i do alot of stuff at the same time every day.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 AM

my girl frack knows when im coing in at night, she hears me shutting the car door and squeeks, i can hear her through the windows,very funny...

Tags
degu, degus, hearing