Another "Eye" Thread - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Another "Eye" Thread

I just got back from a week's vacation, a good friend and fellow rodent enthusiest came in each day to care for my critters, who are all doing very well. But today when I took out Bruce my 'father' male Degu I noticed one of his eyes was weepy.
Other then it being weepy and his face being a bit wet by the eye, the eye itself looks fine, and he is acting his normal happy self.
I'm not 100%, but i think when I first brought home the Degus Bruce had this problem, I have some reccolection of this but not 100% on which Degu is was since I didn't know them to well when I first rescued them. Man i wish I had a better memory.

Any suggestions?
We don't have a Degu savvey Vet around, but i have found someone who will at least look at rodents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would keep a close eye on it as a weepy eye could be the sign of a few things. There could have been something in it irritating it or it could be a sign of something much more serious such as tooth problem. I would keep an eye on it and see if it clears up, if it does and then reoccurs again i would get him checked over by a vet for sure as there could be an underlying cause

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 PM

I don't have any experience with Degus..but my cat had a similar problem with his eye. The vet said it was probably allergies and gave me an antibiotic ointment to put in it everyday and it cleared up. Maybe it's a similar problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Well it's been a week now and Bruces eye is not improving It almost looks kind of sticky. My Dog's ill too (Anal glands again, this is re-occuring with her no matter the food ) so it looks like I'm going to have to beg for a good deal tomorrow at the Vets ($60 per animal + meds on top ouchy).
I don't think I asked them last time if they took Degus (or if they knew anything about them), but so far she's been amazing with all my other pets (Dog, bunnies, gerbil).

My poor Brucey He looks and acts perfectly fine though he has stopped overgrooming his son this past week, as Georges hair has all grown back.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:26 AM

Any half decent vet who deals with rodents should still be able to help! The drops and gels i've had for eye problems have all been for rabbits!

please try and get it seen to! eye problems can get nasty!

x
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would get Bruce checked out if the eye is still a problem, it could be something as simple as an allergy or it could be something underlying such as his teeth. Hope everything goes ok for you at the vets

Kirsty

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

We see the Vet today, problem is mines not in I have to see her partner.
I asked the girl on the phone if he (The Dr.) had seen a Degu before, she paused and said "I'm sure he has", then after i book the appointment she asks me "What again is a Degu?"
I don't have much of a choice, I want my pets to be seen today, I leave for the next two days and I don't want to put this off.
The last time I saw the partner it was with my Rabbit, Jackpot, the Vet sexed him multiple times telling me I had a SHE.... After the 4th or 5th time he said "Sorry little fella, you are a boy". So you can see why i'm a bit nervous with taking Bruce to see him. But what choice do I have? I can wait till thursday and take him in, but feel it's been long enough.
I'm so broke too, this is liek THE worst time to try and come up with $100+, my car was suposed to go in for work this week... can't afford it now.
Argh what a stressful day/week this is going to be, i just want my babies to be healthy and happy again. (My Dog is ill to, it seems inpacted anal glands... again.)

Wish us luck today!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I am impressed.
We're back from the Vet and i must say my opinion of this Vet has changed, I was very happy with his knowledge and how thorough he was today.

As I suspected Whizz's anal glands are infected, so she's on antibiotics. The glands themselves were empty so she is expressing them just fine. Seems bactiria is getting into the small glands.
I also mentioned how Whizz has small 'leaks' when she's sleeping (in her old age) and he wrote on my file if the leaks ever become a trouble we can put her on hormones all i have to do is call them and pick them up, i won't need an appointment He explained about the hormones and how this all works to, I found that all very helpful.

As for My little Bruce, he does have Staph infection (Conjunctivitis) and is on Ciloxan eye drops 2 to 3 times a day. Poor guy was not happy, he scratched so hard he lost a toe nail The Vet checked his teeth, eyes and was very good with him, asked alot of questions and explained everything very well.
He said Bruce is very healthy and has great looking teeth and gums. He also mentioned he was surprised the infection hadn't spread to the other eye or the other Degu.
The meds he gave me can also be used on bunnies too.
Also he didn't charge me a full exam for bruce only a "Breif" one

So I'll be living on kraft dinner this week, but all my pets are doing well and Bruce & Whizz are on the road to recovery ;D
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone else had a Degu with an eye infection?
Bruce has been on his medication for 10 days as teh Vet has stated, but his eye it still not any better
I'm going to call teh Vet tomorrow, btu i wanted to see if anyone else had any experiance.

Also how stressful is travelling and being handled by a stranger, i don't want him to get sick from all this
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know Sammy H had a degu with eye problems. It sounds like he might need stronger drops to kill the infection there are various sorts of antibiotic treatments and they normally start out with ones of a lower dosage. One of my piggies once got conjuctivitis through stress (long story left him with a neighbour whilst on hols) and i ended up taking him back and was given stronger drops. Are they drops or cream that the vet has given you?

Kirsty

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

The medication is drops, and we do them 2 to 3 times a day (usually two, as poor bruce hates it and the Vet said 2 is good, 3 is great).
I called the clinic this morning and My regular vet was in she looked over the file and said to keep up the drops for a few more days, and if there is still no improvment then to bring him in for a re-check.
So we'll do another 4 or 5 more days of drops, poor Brucey he does not like it and dosn't run out of the cage to greet me anymore, he's alot more cautious now, but still enjoys his 'out time' as long as i'm not holding him to drop liquide in his eye.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 PM

i've had many degu eye problems, but never conjunctivitis (unless you count me having it :-)

i hate giving them the drops as they wriggle so much and not a lot goes in the eye! we had one thing with jerry that was a gel that reacted when in the eye and went watery.
it really stresses them out though and its a two person job with a big towel or something (like giving a cat a pill!)

stick with it and i hope they eye clears up.

incidently i had viral conjunctivitis for two months... no drops work on the viral one at least in humans. you have to let it run its course :-(
perhaps its the same with degus?? who knows?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I must say Bruce is pretty good with taking the drops, i just hold him against me but not to tight and he waits and when it's done he gets a treat and playtime. He's probably the easiest pet i have to medicate! My dog is AWEFUL!

When i put the drop in tonight i noticed afterwards his eye was more wheepy, i think i'll keep the drops up untill sunday or monday, then watch they eye till thursday or friday.

I also think Bruce makes more amlst sneezy noises, I'd like to change their bedding and see if that affects anything.
I'm goign to start another post on beddings and see what everyone else is using.

Tags
regular vet