Another question about Daisy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Another question about Daisy

My female, Daisy had been losing weight, and when I took her to the vet he checked her out and said that she looked alright and seemed healthy. He checked her teeth and said they looked good.

Daisy continued to lose weight (although, in my week's absence with another person feeding them she seems to have gained some back)

Her teeth were almost white when I left for vacation

Today, as I was checking her out, I noticed that she is making kind of a grinding sound when she opens and closes her mouth. It sounds like her teeth are scraping. I've also noticed that a good amount of the food I give the goos ends up in a powdery mess below their dish. Are these connected?

What could be the possible causes? I'm thinking her teeth might be overgrown (but she has plenty to chew on in the cage) how can I tell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I still think her teeth could be the cause as from just looking at them you don't get the whole picture as the problem could lie at the root or even her back teeth. You mentioned she is still loosing weight and the powdery mess could be linked as with degus and chins who suffer from tooth problems a common sign is ground up foot infront of where they are eating. Although you have to account that some foods are more crumbly then others for example a certain kind of chinchilla pellet i feed crumbles easily between my fingers so would when a degu is eating it and also a degu will leave a few crumbs behind after eating but if there is a lot there could be a problem. The teeth being white is also worrying which could be a link to a tooth problem too or a problem with the mouth. Teeth grinding isn't really such a big issue as a lot of degus do it as the norm and they grind their teeth for many different reasons but again if she has white teeth and is loosing weight it may be interlinked along the line.

Have you read up on tooth problems in the chinchilla? They are simular species and both suffer from the same problems and not a lot is documented on tooth problems in the degu so far despite there being a fair few cases so looking up chinchillas is your best bet. Maloccusion is the main problem which might be worth consulting your vet about and asking him to look further even if it just puts your mind at rest

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Did your vet look at Daisy's molars too? Or just her incisors? To examine a Degus molars, they most likely may have to be sedated, since most don't sit still enough to allow you to open their mouth and check in there. The molars continually grow as the incisors do too, and can grow spurs if the Degu doesn't keep them properly worn down. That can affect their eating if it gets bad enough.

So, depending on exactly how far the tooth exam went with your vet, they may or may not have been able to check everything.

I have only learned this stuff by having tooth problems lately with Imana. It has been a very interesting learning process.

If you Google "rodent malocclusion", you'll find lots of info about that, and you'll even find some photos of rodents who have it. There are many other tooth issues that can go on inside those little mouths, like root elongation, but malocclusion is the most common. It simply refers to the abnormal positioning of opposing teeth.

Sometimes, if they chew on their cage, or something like that, they can damage their teeth to the point where they just get a little off.

If you are still concerned about her, I would say maybe look for a different vet in your area who knows more about Degus?

I read somewhere that white teeth is a sign of weak teeth. That can be due to a vitamin deficiency, or something similar. That might explain why Daisy is having tooth problems right now - if they're weak for some reason. Has the color come back at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

her teeth are getting a little bit more orange, so I'm assuming she's eating more or the vitamins are helping.

The vet took a pretty good look in her mouth and said it looked good. He did mention that he couldn't see her molars as well as he'd like

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any other vet in town that is even willing to look at a Degu. He did mention that he wouldn't sedate a degu because of their size and the risk to their health...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If done correctly there is only a slight risk.... I know a lot of people who have had to have their degus sedated and all come through it ok. Do you have any exotic or chinchilla expert vets around? They would be your best bet if your current vet doesn't know much about degus

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

That's good to hear. I can do some more calling around and asking, but last time I could only convince one person to look at her. Everyone kept saying, NOPE...we don't do degus, even after I mentioned they were like little chinchillas.

The vet I went to last is more of a wildlife vet so he was familiar with squirrels and marmots and whatnot (on occasion they get brought in as rescues)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Unless a Degu has some underlying health problem soft sedation really is not very dangerous at all. Soft sedation is a technique of using a gas only. It is a very gentle kind of sedation that is very fast acting, and that metabolizes out very quickly. So they're fast to go down and fast to wake up.

Imana has had it done 2 times now, with no problems at all. There's always somewhat of a risk with anesthesia, but soft anesthesia is as safe as it can possibly be. And, unless they have some other problem in their body, they come out of it just fine.

I'm really sorry you have had such a hard time finding a vet in your area! I really feel fortunate to have found our vet with Degu experience. I wish we lived closer, I would give you a referral in a heart beat!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I just wanted to say good luck! I really hope you can find a good vet.

I consider myself extremely lucky...I have both a regular vet AND an emergency vet that treat degus in the area.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
emergency vet, regular vet, sit still