Attn: Purplebunny, Amethystbelle, and anyone else with baby degu knowledge - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Attn: Purplebunny, Amethystbelle, and anyone else with baby degu knowledge

You two seem to know the most about baby degus (either through research or experience), which is why I singled you out, but if anyone else has an opinion, feel free to comment.

The degu book that I have has kind of timeline of when baby degus do certain things, on average. My guys are about 8.5 days old, and (according to the book), 8 days is normally when the begin to regulate their own body temperate. It also says that around 8 days they often spend most of their time playing.

Out of all 8 of my babies, I have only seen one out of the nest box, and I only saw it out ONCE. But then, I seem to have lazy animals in general, for some reason. Sage and Basil would spend all day in a house and never come out, which is why I took the house out (until I had to add the nest box) and replaced it with a hamock for sleeping. My puppy is lazy, too, and wants to sleep all the time, so it's not just the degus, lol.

Anyways, my question is: From your experience/research/whatever, when have you noticed babies starting to come out of the nest box and play/explore? I bought a small animal playpen, and I'm debating getting them out of the cage for short bits at a time in order to get them to leave the box and explore, but I want to make sure that they aren't too young. Just because one source says they can control their own body temp at 8 days doesn't make it true, kwim? I don't want to take them out too soon and have them get cold, but I don't want them to always stay in the nest box if it would be best for them to move around and play.

I think, eventually, I'm going to have to take the box out except for at night (just in case they do take after mom and dad and never want to leave the box), but I want to start with just some outside playtime first.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Research has shown that baby degus can normally regulate their body temperature from around 8 days of age so your most definately right. The reason they probably haven't ventured out yet is quite simply because they have needed the parents warmth in order to keep warm and develop properly. Mum and dad (mum more than dad) will probably be spending around 80-90% of their time with the pups at the moment interacting with them but also if mum and dad don't venture out the pups probably won't want to either as they will learn from mum and dad, although their playful inquisitive nature should really take over and they should start to want to venture out in the next few days or so just to explore with the parents keeping them in check I wouldn't remove them from the cage just yet as i still think at this stage it would be too stressful for them i would wait till you hit the 14 day mark before you even think of removing the house or even the pups from the cage and putting them in the playpen and even then make sure mum and dad are with them as this could also stress them out being away from their parents. Once you hit the two week mark and as the pups get older and suckle less they should become a lot more independent and interact more with each other

Please keep us all posted on their progress

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Red face

Hi! I would say that my babies were running around the cage at a few days to a week old, but some were lazier than others.. It may also be a good time to try and get them to come to you and maybe offer them a treat.. Leave till they are a bit older before you pick them up or move them out of the cage.. Kirsty has said exactly what I have read about them and you also seem to have done a lot of research.. The babies get very nosey and will soon be playing/running around and will generally start to develop their personalities.. My babies didnt have their dad, so relied on mummy and aunt to help them etc..
Keep us informed and good luck... You know that we both mad about degus..

Tags
baby degus, nest box