Babies! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Babies!

Sage gave birth to seven babies sometime early this morning (between 2 am and 9:30 am). We took a quick peak, and they all seem to be doing fine. We're trying not to bother them too much just yet, but I'll get some pics for you all in a week or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaaawwwww a huge congratulations from me and my guys to you and the proud new parents hope everything is going well and i look forward to seeing those pics very soon

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats!! I can't wait for pics!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:47 PM

Red face

Congratulations.. I cant wait to see the pics, baby degus are sooo cute.. Remember to try not to disturb them too much for the first few days.. And also maybe get your male one out soon, as he will try and breed with the mummy one..
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:18 PM

i'm not really sure what a degu is and it would be great to see some pics. especially of some super cute babies!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:25 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppie_girl
i'm not really sure what a degu is and it would be great to see some pics. especially of some super cute babies!
Here is a link to a thread I posted.. Its 2 of my degus..

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26307
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Correction, we have 8 baby degus. We were trying not to bother them right after birth, so we just kinda peeked into the next box and thought we saw 7. We left yesterday morning for a weekend trip to the beach, and when we got back this afternoon, I wanted to make sure that they were all doing okay (since daddy isn't helping to keep them warm like I've read daddies normally do), so we gently took the nest box out of the cage so we could open it up and get a better look. All 8 of them seem to be doing just fine. Basil seems like he's not sure what to do. I think he's a little intimidated.

I got a couple pics of Basil (he's so much easier to get out of the cage when he's confused. ) and two of the babies (there'll be more later, once it's safer to handle them/etc). I'll post them as soon as I get the roll of film developed.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgimom
Correction, we have 8 baby degus. We were trying not to bother them right after birth, so we just kinda peeked into the next box and thought we saw 7. We left yesterday morning for a weekend trip to the beach, and when we got back this afternoon, I wanted to make sure that they were all doing okay (since daddy isn't helping to keep them warm like I've read daddies normally do), so we gently took the nest box out of the cage so we could open it up and get a better look. All 8 of them seem to be doing just fine. Basil seems like he's not sure what to do. I think he's a little intimidated.

I got a couple pics of Basil (he's so much easier to get out of the cage when he's confused. ) and two of the babies (there'll be more later, once it's safer to handle them/etc). I'll post them as soon as I get the roll of film developed.
Can't wait to see the baby pics. 8 is a lot isn't it? I read somewhere that they normally have like 5-6. My girls have grown up so fast I barely remember what they looked like as little ones.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Average is 4-6 (I think? Or maybe it's 5-6?), but they can have anywhere from 2-10 (don't ask where I got that from, I've been to so many different degu websites that I can't remember which one I got the numbers from. ) So it's higher than average, but it could've been worse.

I bred one of my hamsters once, she had 10. I couldn't believe it. Apparently, my animals like to have large litters for some reason.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:49 PM

Congrats, cant wait to see pics!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congrats. Would love to see pics when you get a chance.

Stephanie

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Average is 4-6 (I think? Or maybe it's 5-6?), but they can have anywhere from 2-10 (don't ask where I got that from, I've been to so many different degu websites that I can't remember which one I got the numbers from. ) So it's higher than average, but it could've been worse.

I bred one of my hamsters once, she had 10. I couldn't believe it. Apparently, my animals like to have large litters for some reason.
The average degu litter is between 4-6 so your right but they can have upto 10-12 babies. I bred my hamster once and i counted 12 babies and nearly died now that was a lot i don't know how the mother coped as i wouldn't i'd be a nervous wreck

How are all the babies? Are they all doing fine? Is mother doing well with the feeding? Please keep us posted

Kirsty

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

I peeked into the nest box after work (but didn't remove it) and they are all still squirming around in there. Later tonight when my boyfriend is home to help me, I'm going to take the box out and check more closely, just to make sure they are all okay. They are all very wiggly, and I don't want one of them to wander off very far when I'm trying to watch all 8 of them by myself. I took one out to show his dad yesterday and the little tyke crawled all the way up my arm (don't worry, I had my other hand right next to them.)

I have not yet taken *all* of them out to make sure they are okay, I've just been keeping an eye on them and counting to make sure they are all okay. Sage seems to be nursing them okay and keeping them warm, but I do want to inspect more closely. I'm going to try to get to Petsmart tomorrow for some other supplies, so I want to check them all out closely and make sure no one is looking thin and in need of extra milk/hand feedings. I had to do that with my first rat and the runt of my hamster litter, so I'm trying to be extra cautious. I'll take a few more pics of them today, then finish up the roll with puppy pictures so that I can take the film in to be developed.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I peeked into the nest box after work (but didn't remove it) and they are all still squirming around in there. Later tonight when my boyfriend is home to help me, I'm going to take the box out and check more closely, just to make sure they are all okay. They are all very wiggly, and I don't want one of them to wander off very far when I'm trying to watch all 8 of them by myself. I took one out to show his dad yesterday and the little tyke crawled all the way up my arm (don't worry, I had my other hand right next to them.)

I have not yet taken *all* of them out to make sure they are okay, I've just been keeping an eye on them and counting to make sure they are all okay. Sage seems to be nursing them okay and keeping them warm, but I do want to inspect more closely. I'm going to try to get to Petsmart tomorrow for some other supplies, so I want to check them all out closely and make sure no one is looking thin and in need of extra milk/hand feedings. I had to do that with my first rat and the runt of my hamster litter, so I'm trying to be extra cautious. I'll take a few more pics of them today, then finish up the roll with puppy pictures so that I can take the film in to be developed.
Yes, its always best to have stuff like that on hand as with large litters sometimes mum needs a little help but it sounds like Sage is doing great. In a few days it would be a good idea to weigh everyone including mum to make sure she is doing fine too, that way if you keep a note you can tell how well they are all doing and see any problems before they arise

I can't wait to see those pics

Kirsty

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:44 PM

I cant wait to see pics too!

Tags
baby degus, doing fine, nest box