Babies! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Babies!

So it would appear my suspicions were correct, and one of our degus was definitely pregnant when we got them, as of 6pm last night we had 7 babies! Should I let the other females stay in with them, or try to move them? They all seem to be very motherly towards the babies, and are all doing well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (25.8 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Leave the other females in with them. They will help attend to the babies.

(Just make sure that your others are indeed female. I adopted four "females" from the Ottawa Humane Society and it turned out that one of them was a male. Found out when one of the females miscarried. First thing I did was ID the male and separate him out from the others. The other two females gave birth – Lilac in September with six (five survived) and Peridot a month later with seven. Kept babies and moms and auntie altogether at the time. Adult females all helped take care of the Lilac's babies and, when Peridot's pups were born, Lilac's babies helped as well. Now, I have three cages with Dad, Sean, with the boys and a cage each for each of the moms and their daughters.)

Good luck. Please keep asking if you have any questions, as you have them. I will try to help. (I'm on holiday next Wednesday to Sunday though but there are a couple of people on this forum that are experienced, or try a dedicated forum like the DeguWorld forum or Degutopia.)

BTW Where in Ontario are you? I'm in Ottawa.

Last edited by 16degus; 07-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats and good luck with the babies . Yes, leave the females in, they'll help out.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replies! All the babies are doing amazing, and the adults are all taking turns taking care of them I wasn't overly surprised when I thought that she might have been pregnant...the people we got them from really didn't seem to know what they were talking about, and they weren't taken care of very well.
I'm looking into getting a new cage for when they are older, how old should they be when the males and females are separated?
I have a strange question about cage cleaning lol I don't want to stress out the babies or the mommy(ies? haha), but I also don't want to have them in a dirty cage! They were born Thursday night, so Thursday morning was the last time I'd cleaned it, and I usually do it once or twice a week so it's due to be done.
I'm in Peterborough All I can say is thank goodness for the internet, no one around here seems to even know what a degu is, let alone anything about caring for them! lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay84 View Post
Thanks for the replies! All the babies are doing amazing, and the adults are all taking turns taking care of them I wasn't overly surprised when I thought that she might have been pregnant...the people we got them from really didn't seem to know what they were talking about, and they weren't taken care of very well.
I'm looking into getting a new cage for when they are older, how old should they be when the males and females are separated?
I have a strange question about cage cleaning lol I don't want to stress out the babies or the mommy(ies? haha), but I also don't want to have them in a dirty cage! They were born Thursday night, so Thursday morning was the last time I'd cleaned it, and I usually do it once or twice a week so it's due to be done.
I'm in Peterborough All I can say is thank goodness for the internet, no one around here seems to even know what a degu is, let alone anything about caring for them! lol
You should separate at around 6-8 weeks, after they're fully weaned. If there was an adult male in the cage, you would separate by 6 weeks but I think you only have adult females in there, right?

As for cleaning, just do it in sections so the babies don't have to be removed. You can use something as a divider if you're worried mom will get protective. Degu babies are pretty hardy so you'll be able to move them soon, some breeders even handle them from day 1 but that can be stressful on the mother if she doesn't trust you yet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Newborn Pup

Hey. I also had a litter of unexpected babies. I woke up one day to them, what a surprise! I was wondering about handling. I want to adopt them out and I want to make sure they're properly socialized before then so that their new owners have a start at having a pet not afraid of hands. Nutmeg (the mommy) is very tolerant of my hand inside of the cage, she doesn't nip and she'll come up to lick me once in awhile.

The babies are just under a week old. We lost two sadly, there were circumstances beyond our control that forced us to load up all pets and some of our stuff on their first full day of life, taking it out of the house for the day. I think it was too stressful. The other four though are very active, loud, curious (I have already experienced them climbing the bars of the cage!! ) and adorable. Dad is separated from mom, with plans to get him neutered in a week.

Any other tips? There's not a lot out there on when to start taming degu's that I have seen.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagichan View Post
Hey. I also had a litter of unexpected babies. I woke up one day to them, what a surprise! I was wondering about handling. I want to adopt them out and I want to make sure they're properly socialized before then so that their new owners have a start at having a pet not afraid of hands. Nutmeg (the mommy) is very tolerant of my hand inside of the cage, she doesn't nip and she'll come up to lick me once in awhile.

The babies are just under a week old. We lost two sadly, there were circumstances beyond our control that forced us to load up all pets and some of our stuff on their first full day of life, taking it out of the house for the day. I think it was too stressful. The other four though are very active, loud, curious (I have already experienced them climbing the bars of the cage!! ) and adorable. Dad is separated from mom, with plans to get him neutered in a week.

Any other tips? There's not a lot out there on when to start taming degu's that I have seen.
You can start handling them at that age, they're quite hardy .

~Stephanie