babies teeth are no longer orange - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

babies teeth are no longer orange

My lil girl Eva (the one with constant foot problems) teeth have gone to a pale yellow. I feed the sunset brand degu food w/ tim hay dandelion mix with some crushed rose petals mixed through a whole bag (no way to much) I feed peanuts (very sparingly) homemade treats based on the receipe for getting a goo to eat. I add drop of oil no peanuts and puree peas,carrots and broccoli and add that instead of water for their treats all 4 goos have the same diet from what I can tell what can I do?
My girls dont like fresh veggies except for frozen peas (not fresh but closest to fresh they take.

<~Eva,Juliet,Harriette and Sally~>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There's no need to worry unless they turn white . I would try to get them eating some fresh veggies, though, or even herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, mint, etc.) and plants from outside (dandelion greens, clovers, grasses, etc.).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I cut some carrots and covered in basil, danelion and oats and none of the 4 want em imma keep an eye on them to see if anyone gets interested ty. Is there a water additive from vita-sol? I am thinking i remember seeing one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Fresh basil or dried? What other vegetables have you tried (carrots aren't great for them anyways, leafy greens are best)? Do any of them eat veggies?

Water additives are useless, the vitamins usually degrade quickly and the degus may not drink enough since the water will taste different.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

dried basil

tried carrots, tomatoes, sweet potatos, red, yellow, and green peppers, fresh peas, frozen peas, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash.

they eat the frozen peas a lil

I feel i need to try anything and everything til i can get this figured out I worry bout the girls alot

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Try fresh basil instead.

Here's a list of foods I can think of off the top of my head that I fed my degus:

Romaine lettuce
Green leaf/red leaf lettuce
Escarole
Chickory
Dandelion greens and flowers*
Marigold flowers
Lavender
Wild grasses
Clovers
Alfalfa sprouts*
Cucumbers
Broccoli leaves
Kale*
Spinach*
Zucchini
Bell peppers
Parsley
Basil
Oregano
Mint
Cilantro

All of the above were fed fresh. Ones marked with an asterisk were limited because of the calcium content.

I gave the following as occasional treats only:

Carrots and carrot greens
Sweet potato slices (skin removed)
Dried tomatoes
Peanuts (unsalted)
Walnuts (whole, made for a fun toy)
Sugar-free cereal

I would definitely at least try some fresh vegetables and herbs. Keep offering them, don't give up if they don't eat them right away. They can be picky at first (like kids!). But also don't worry about your girl, some degus naturally have lighter teeth.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ok ty I will jot these down and look when I go to the store but they dont really like fresh so Imma have to figure out something I tried coated in oats so might need to try to offer only fresh as treats