Bad Looking Coat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Bad Looking Coat

Is there anything that can be done to help smooth out a raggedy coat? Looks like she's having a bad hair day, but it's been like this for a week or so now and won't smooth out. Dust bath doesn't seem to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:31 PM

Exclamation She Degu....

I am a little worried to hear about your degus coat. One thing they have in common with gerbils is that their coat looks awful (raggy, greasy, unkempt) when they are either sick or are emotionally upset. You said she??? Is she alone? Emotionally that could do it!!! Does she have any other problems? Is she eating and drinking? Does she just tend to sit in a corner and not move much? And worse of all, could she be pregnant? Waht is she eating? We have a list of food we swear by here on our Degus Page . You can see by the degu on the top of the page that they are VERY healthy. What is her name?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

A bad looking coat is often a sign of sickness...but I need more info. What is she fed? Does she live alone? Is she ok otherwise?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:10 PM

Red face

I was going to say the same as nygerbil and Steph! I hope her coat gets better?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:14 PM

As I wote, this sounds like more than a "bad hair day". She maybe should be checked by a vet for health and possible pregnancy and you should try to provide her with the best diet you can from here on out. Planety of fresh water and lots of company. I bet she is very lonely.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with what has basically been said but really we'd need to hear more about the situation she is in, i.e whether shes alone and has no companion etc....? As a ruffled coat can be the sign of many things such as depression, loneliness or if she is sickening for something, if your worried take her to see a vet and hopefully they will be able to put your mind at ease

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
dust bath