bald patch - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

bald patch

podge has developed a small very neat bald patch on his back his skin is fine no reddness scabbing or flaking he is eating drinking and everything the same as usual and is perfectly happy and not taking any notice of it at all, is it possible that truff is barbering him? if so what can i do as i dont want to seperate them they love being together any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM

Hi Tasha, here is a link to a thread I started a while back.. Hope Podge is ok?
Any more advice needed just ask?

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30131
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

ah i knew id seen it somewhere cheers steph!!! do you think i should do the salt water thing or just vaseline? hes v happy at the mo squeaking his head off as his just had his naughties i caught him at it the little monkey so i know thats the reason for his squeaks hee hee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:09 PM

I would try the salt water and then a mild cream like T Tree if you have any or the vaseline.. I would suggest getting some of the T Tree oil cream when you go to Pets at Home next time, its very handy as I have some for my bunnies..
Keep us informed!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 05:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree i'd definately give it a wripe over with salt water as stops it from getting infected and then use something like tea tree for a day or so as thats an antiseptic also and then maybe swap over to evening primrose oil cream to soften it back up and encourage fur regrowth and he should be back to his handsome self in no time

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM

my baby degus born just before christmas - first time degu owner, was told by pets at home that they were both females turned out they wasn't - i saw the bad state they were in at the shop so i didnt fancy taking them back, had a litter of 5, 3 females and 2 males (i think) theres only the one that has this problem (male i think)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If he is the only one with the problem and from the positioning on the picture of the baldness it looks like it may have been done by a litter mate or the mother and is known as over grooming. If non of the others have a problem then it is more then likely down to one of the others but i would keep an eye on him and see how he goes, if any of the others develop problems it may be worth while getting them checked over by a vet On a side note did you seperate dad after the birth?

Kirsty

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 AM

no i didnt seperate the dad - as i think when i got them from pets at home i think i ended up with 2 females (treating this birth as a hit and miss) to see what happends,

i'm keeping my eye on them - from what i read the females are bigger than the males, and they actually look darker.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degus all tend to vary so males and females don't really differ in size from one another, i have males who all vary in size and the same goes for the females i've had so can't really compare the two sexes. Pets at home state they only sell same sex pairs and they do come from one central breeder or so i've been told so they probably are females and it was just a accident somewhere along the line

Have you tried sexing them as this would determine either way and you would know for sure?

Kirsty

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 AM

yes tried sexing them didnt really have much luck with that cant really tell lol

Tags
baby degus