Bald patches! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Bald patches!

I just went to look in on my degus and noticed one of them is missing two patches of fur (one on his forehead area and one under his eye). I've noticed his fur looking a little messy in those areas the past couple days but it only just now looks bald. It really scared me. I just lost a dear pet last week and I don't know if I can handle more illness

Anyone know what it could be? My boys groom each other but I've never noticed it to be excessive. They do fight every now and then but I haven't really noticed any major fights lately. The bald skin looks white and there is no redness. I have not noticed him itching that area and his behavior is the same as normal. There don't seem to be any bald patches on the other degu.

I don't have a degu-savvy vet but if it sounds serious, I can try my vet (who obviously knows general information about degus but does not know much about their unique problems). I'm just so stressed out to the max right now and I hope it's nothing bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I've been looking around on the Internet trying to figure out what this is. Does it sound like ringworm to you guys? Should I try tinactin powder mixed with their dust bath?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 PM

My Degus George get's bald patches all the time, His Cagemate/Father Bruce chews the fur.
I have found sometimes he will stop if I add a new toy, or change around their cage. But that only lasts so long and then he's abck to chewing his sons fur off

When i first saw this I was freaked out, but even my Vet has taken a look at both boys and is impressed with their great health and temperment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my hairless rat always grooms my other rat (haired) and pulls out her hair, she was almost compleatly bald on the top of her head and around her ear and neck, she looked pittiful, but she always stood and let the other rat do it to her rarely squeeking. she didnt do it when we first got her and she stopped a few months ago, i dont know why she does it though

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 PM

Cute pic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't worry too much it sounds like over grooming, ringworm isn't something that is common in degus and it is unlikely that this would be the cause as ringworm spreads and if one has it the other one would too and there would be every chance you or your other pets would be experiencing symptoms too. I would keep a close eye on the skin, if it isn't red and inflammed i wouldn't be over worried. It sounds like its slightly dry though so i always advise people to use a moisturiser designed for babies, E45 cream or oil of evening primrose oil cream and rub a little in once a day to help soften the skin and encourage hair regrowth, the fur will take a while to grow back though

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys The bald patches are very localized. There is no thinning of the fur around the patch, just a solid chunk of fur gone. Under the eye just seems like a bizarre place to get bald patches from overgrooming; I guess it's possible though.

Would it harm them if they bathed in tanactin mixed with their dust bath if they don't have ringworm? I just don't want to wait it out and then see it get worse if I could have done something at this point to help it.

Thanks again guys, that makes me feel better
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My degus preen under each others eyes and on their cheeks all the time I wouldn't advise putting anything into there dust bath as remember they lick there fur so if they ingested any of the powder it could harm them. In my opinion it doesn't sound like ringworm and if you at all worried it is i would seek veterinary advice.

Kirsty

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Will It Ever Change?

my girl had that happen too. the patch was HUGE. the other goo did it. i let them out more often and it's totally grown back now!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Last edited by mulder; 03-04-2007 at 01:43 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't be worried My boys have little patches of fur missing every once in a while too. Currently Nibbles has a patch missing like andreaS15's pics and Nippers has a few spots missing on his face. It's pretty common in degus to have little bald spots once in a while
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 AM

my mama has them on her hands and feet and i dont think they are gonna grow back cause i have had her a month and they are still there Im sure she chewed it off and now i think the hair folicals are permanantly damaged
of course she came that way
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Where did mama come from? It sounds like before she got to you she was depressed, bored or stressed out and as a result has self harmed, degus do this as a coping mechanism. The hair will take time to grow back sometimes even upto 6 months depending or not if she is still chewing it as sometimes once they get into the habit and pattern on doing it no matter what they won't stop. Give her a little time and keep an eye on her to see if she is chewing the fur off still, if she is everytime you see her doing it try and distract her so she will stop and in time you may be able to break the pattern. If she is no longer chewing the fur then its just a waiting game for it to grow back

Kirsty

Tags
dust bath, hairless rat