Bedding For Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Bedding For Degus

Hi maybe someone can help. I currently have 2 degus (thanks Runt) and I keep them in a 55 gallon tank. I use some type of wood shavings with the aromatic oils removed (pine fresh i think)

When I clean the tank (every couple days) I have to clean it out completely. It is getting quite expensive.

Any ideas on a more economical (and cleaner) bedding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I use the kiln dried pine for my bedding.1 bag goes along way.Costs around $5.00 at a farm supply store.
When I had hamsters in a tank I used to spot clean where they peed in the corners when mom had babies.I would assume you could do the same.
Welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:27 PM

With them being in a aquarium you are going to have more of a smell, I preferred wire cages when I had my degus (had them in aquariums at first and YUCK) kiln dried pine is great bedding for degus.

PICS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I use shavings and mine never smell but on the other hand i keep them in a big open wired cage so air circulates all the time. I also spot clean my degus cage as well as i often find the bottom shavings are clean underneath once you remove the top layer apart from sometimes in the corners then i just give that a good clean out and leave the rest! Oh and welcome to PT !!!

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Red face

Welcome to PT! I have 5 degus, and I use woodshavings in their cage, which has a few layers of newspaper at the bottom.. My degus are in a large wire cage and as Amethystbelle said, the air circulates around so it doesn't really smell.. I clean mine out properly once a week, but daily I let them out for a sandbath, and I tidy up the cage, change their water, renew the food, clean the shelves, and mix the sawdust up...
Any more info needed, just send me a PM!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 AM

i leave thier sand bath in their cage and they use that as a toilet, so i just change the sand alot!! i have a 4ft tank and i only have to clean them out once a fortnight where as when i had them in the cage they were cleaned out at least once a week.

Tags
dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, wire cage, wire cages, wood shavings