Boys vs. Girls - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

Boys vs. Girls

Our babies will be ready to leave us next weekend, so we have to seriously start thinking about whether we want to keep the 4 girl babies or the 4 boy babies. (We're still not sure about the parents. Lucas' mom used to be a groomer and the petshop that she used to work for might be interested. If they aren't, the current groomer will take them and sell them out of her grooming area. If the store takes them and is interested in continuing to sell them, we may keep the parents as a breeding pair, or give them to the shop as a breeding pair. I don't think it's possible to hand tame these two. It's nearly impossible to get them to come out of the cage, and we've had them for months now.)

Anyways, what's your opinion on boys versus girls? Lucas read one place that boys are more likely, but I know some people here successful have multiple boys.

If it helps, our cage is approximate 24" by 30" at the base and is about 3 feet tall. Do you think it's big enough for 4 boys to get along together for their entire lives, or would it be better if we kept the girls? Initially I liked the boys better because they seemed more social, but now I think they were just quicker to learn. I seperated the boys and girls the other day and spent some time with the group of 4 boys and some time with just the girls and the girls climbed in my hand just as much as the boys did. We have no biters or anything that like, so we'd be perfectly happy with either group.

Generally speaking, I've always prefered boy animals, but part of me wonders if the boys would be happier being sold in pairs than being kept in a larger group. (No clue why I've always prefered boy animals. Probably because I love about a million boy names, and have less favorite girl names, lol).

What would you do, if you did not have a favorite or a least favorite baby degu. If the boys and girls were equal in every way and you could only pick one, which would you pick?

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well I am afraid that if I was in your position I would keep them all.. There is no way I could part with any of them, when mine had babies I kept them all.. Sorry if this does not help!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

lol, I understand. If it was up to me, we would keep all. But, as we are currently staying with Lucas' dad, we are forced to keep to his pet limit. I'm not even allowed to get a fish tank because "we have enough pets" and enough "cages". The only reason we can keep as many babies as we can is because they can all stay in the same cage.

I do love your answer, though, and wish I could.

Momma to three pups:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Girls on a whole are less likely to fight than boys but if the boys have all been brought up together (which yours have) then its pretty unlikely that they would fight aslong as there was no females around to cause squabbling and probably would live quite happily in a group as they are all siblings! So i think its down to personal preference really, which ones you prefer ?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If you lived closer I could be tempted!!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

This is so hard. I want to keep ALL of them. Steph, if you were closer, I'd give them to you in a heartbeat. I know that they'd have a wonderful home with you.

I think I've decided to keep the boys. The very first baby that climbed into my hand on its own was a boy. They all will climb into my hand now and climb up my arms and sit to be petted. But if I HAVE to chose, I think I'm going to have to go with the boys because that one won my heart by being the first. Plus, I think overall the boys sit longer and are just the least little bit more human social.

It's just so hard to think about giving my little girls away this weekend.

Momma to three pups:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It must be such a hard decision to have to make and i'd hate to have to be in your position and choose but i'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for you and the boys will have a great life with you, I hope all the girls find wonderful loving homes hopefully all together Sending you and your degu's a big

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgimom
This is so hard. I want to keep ALL of them. Steph, if you were closer, I'd give them to you in a heartbeat. I know that they'd have a wonderful home with you.

I think I've decided to keep the boys. The very first baby that climbed into my hand on its own was a boy. They all will climb into my hand now and climb up my arms and sit to be petted. But if I HAVE to chose, I think I'm going to have to go with the boys because that one won my heart by being the first. Plus, I think overall the boys sit longer and are just the least little bit more human social.

It's just so hard to think about giving my little girls away this weekend.
Aww thanks! Big degu huggies from me and my babies..
I hope the girls get great homes.. Keep us informed!

Tags
breeding pair, fish tank