Breeding Or Warning Call - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Breeding Or Warning Call

Hi all,

something strange happened today.. I was out of the house - my husband and daughter were here.

My husband said that two degus were on the top ledge, he thinks both or them but possibly only one was calling a cheep sound every couple of seconds over and over..

I'm trying to work out if this was the warning call (daughter was playing on living room floor so maybe this frightened him) or whether it was the breeding call (all suppost to be male)

Because i wasnt here I'm not totally sure what this call sounded like, but my husband said it was a loud short cheep/choop type noise which continued for a good twenty minutes and had about 2 seconds in between calls.

the other degus were in the nest, he cant say whether they ran to the nest after the call or whether they were already in there to start with, which doesnt give me any clue as to whether it was his warning call or not.. all he knows is that it was very loud and he missed most of the rugby because of it *lol*

I've never heard this anything which sounds like what he descibed before.. does the warning call usually sound like a whistle or a cheep noise ?

Concerned that it was the breeding call.. however the odds of there being a female in the group is very low because not only would the rspca have to had made a mistake sexing them but they would also have been very lucky in that they put two of the same same in a different cage without realising... it would have to have been two males in one cage andf two females in the other without them realising.. otherwise they would have bred at the rspca as they were there a year.. so the odds of that are unlikely.. but... what was the call then ? the rspca had them at 3 days old.. so surely if they were mixed sex and then they would have bred before now ?

I've looked on the degu websites that i have and even though they do have sounds.. they dont have the bredding call or the warning call...

can anyone advise on what this could have been ?

the other thing is that if it was a warning call why would two degus remain on the ledeg to call instead of just the one ? and if it was a breeding cvall surely the female wouldnt stay with the male whilst he called ?

thanks guys

Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Degus warning call

My 2 degus will often suddenly make that 'cheep' sound that you are talking about, I'm assuming that it is some kind of warning call that they would make in the wild, sometimes they will do it for up to 30 minutes, I think if they hear a strange noise or get a strange smell, that is their way of informing others about it. It can be quite loud !!
(BTW, mine are both males)
Lisa&gang
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's make a lot of various sounds when being vocal and some sounds do sound simular to others. Mine are all male and they all make a chirping sound and Basil can chirp for hours Have you seen the degus jumping on each other? Or anything to suggest theres more than one sex in the cage, i.e trying to mate? Also bare in mind male degus jump on each other as well! I very much doubt that they have gotten the sex wrong but mistakes can be made as the RSPCA are busy people so there might be a mix up but probably unlikely. But i definately think you should try and sex them to put your mind at ease.

I did have an idea for easy sexing for you if its going to be too hard to get them out, your degus are in a cage right? And if so do they climb the bars? As if they do you could sex them that way. Get some treat they love and encourage them to climb up for it and reach up while getting someone to do that try to get a good glance underneath to see if they all look alike and then if your worried about any of them get them out seperately and take another look. Its a suggestion as it won't stress them out as you won't be grabbing hold of them

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Breeding Or Warning Call

Hi all

I managed to get a good look and they all seem to be male !! so boy am i relieved .. *lol*

thanks for all your help and advice..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaawwwww thats good to hear, least your minds at ease now

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Last night, one of my degus was making this call - in the middle of the night - woke us all up. However, mine are supposed to both be female. They were sexed by a vet who used to breed degus. They do hump on each other all the time, but I thought the barking was only done when, well, you know...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:25 AM

My girl did that this morning. For about 15-20 minutes she gave out a little call every few seconds. Right after I changed the water bottle to give them fresh water, so I wonder if I scared her. I do have a male/female pair, but I know it wasn't a mating call because he was in the wheel and she was on the top level when she started. Plus, it was her that meeped and not him. She has a little bend in her tail, so we've learned to tell them apart fairly easily.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:00 AM

OT: One of mine has that bend in her tail too! I wonder if it's genetic or the relic of some injury...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Sage was a biter when we first got her, so I put the two together and assumed someone picked her up by the tail and hurt her. But if there are other degus out there that have that, maybe it is due to some type of recessive gene. I guess the only way to find out is to see if it gets passed down to any of her babies, if she ever has any. I didn't intend to buy a breeding pair, but it wouldn't "bother" me if she had babies.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread and changing the topic.

Tags
breeding pair