cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

cage

Hey guys,
I am starting to look around at cages for my future degus. I would like to make my own, but that probably is not going to happen. I have been thinking of getting a Martin's cage but I'm not sure about the wire shelving. What if I bought a big wire cage and put my own wooden shelves in it? Which would be best? Thanks for any advice.
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Personally, I don't like wire bottom cages for any animal. I have used them in the past though and found covering them or replacing them with wooden shelves worked REALLY well. I'd go that route if I were you

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have a cage simular to a Martins cage and mine have wire shelves which for the most part i have covered with carpeting (on their nest shelves) or perspex (which is easy to wripe clean) and both work well. You could also go down the wood route but you must be careful as a lot of woods are toxic to degu's even some of the pet store brought ones so if you are going to make your own shelves you will need something like kiln dried pine which you would get from a wood yard and thats normally ideal although some degus are prolific chewers and the shelves might not last too long

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Okay, I'm going crazy over at the Martin's Cage website.
Do you guys think it is better to have shelves (like the Rat Lodge), a whole second floor (like the Rat Retreat), or both! (like the Ferret Villa). And what can I use to cover the shelves that they won't chew???
I'm also considering the Quality Cage Chinchilla condo....
Anybody know of other good cage websites I could check out?
Thanks!
~Jenn
PS I take it any type of wire coating is a bad idea?

Last edited by JennLin22; 08-18-2005 at 07:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Part of the Pack

Try:

http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/

i think they are a little bit pricey, but they have some that are specifically built for degus!!! and chincillas! and wheels!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Firstly i wouldn't bother with the wire coating as in my experience it doesn't tend to last very long as the little critters normally work on it so it doesn't But every degu's different and some don't chew as much as others so you could get away with it

As for the cages out of all of those you listed my preference would be the ferret villa in style as its got a little more height than the other two you listed and thats important for degu's as more shelf space per degu and they also like to be high up to see things as they are nosey little critters! I also like the rat highrise and the rat tower as both have lots of space for hanging hammocks and tubes etc... for them to play in if that gives you any inspiration or help The link Sammy H gave you is a good one for inspiration for your cage so worth a look

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree the higher cages are better for degus.. Mine is on a few levels and I have hammocks and rope bridges for them to climb on, aswell as the shelves..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys!
Could I use tile to cover the wire shelves?? Plexiglass?
Would a melamine cage work or could they chew the walls?
Thanks!
~Jennifer

Tags
dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store, wire cage