Cage Decoration/Set Up Checklist - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cage Decoration/Set Up Checklist

I just bought my degu cage today.

is 28 inches tall, 28 inches long and 19 inches deep. It has pet absorbing liner along the floors over the metal, and is 3 stories. There is also a metal(?) ramp which I would also like to make solid for their feet (maybe some more of that lining along the ramp?).

It does need a little bit of work to it before I get my critters---the pet safe paint it was painted with is coming off. The woman I bought it from told me that cryo paint would be safe (the kind you use for fridges, she said? I have no idea).

I just read that they can chew the paint off, so should I attempt to get all the paint off? That might get pretty messy with me...
I have been reading up on accessories and things for the cage but I am still lost. I know that I need:

-A dust bath and nest box, along with chew toys.
-A Wheel to run on.
-Food, water and hay.

I'd like to put some branches in there so they can climb, and maybe a hammock if that is suitable for them.

And finally, I have been reading some very mixed things about bedding. I decided to get "All Natural" Kiln Dried Pine bedding for them. I have read some places that pine is OK, some that it's bad, and some that say kiln dried is OK.

Is this ok, and how should I line the cage? Can I line some of it or should I line the whole thing over the absorbent lining?

PS the metal spacing is about an inch, and there is a spot in the back corner that has a bar missing. Obviously the missing bar will be a problem. Wondering how to fix that and if the spacing itself will be an escape problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Newborn Pup

I need a little more info
- how many goos are you gonna have in there?
- how old/big are they (for spacing in back corner)

I make my hammocks for my goos they chew the ropes I tie to the bars so it is cheaper/ easier for me to make them myself just make sure you use the right material My goos love their hammocks
I have the green aquarium carpet on my metal ladders and wire wheels they take it off and put it the nest so I have to replace it bout 2x a week
I am so excited for you and cant wait to see some pics

<~Eva,Juliet,Harriette and Sally~>
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of paint did it already have?

I'm not too helpful as far as DIY stuff goes but can help with bedding. Kiln dried pine is supposed to be safe although the occasional degu is allergic. At different times I've used aspen, Yesterday's News, and Carefresh. If you like the pine bedding, aspen would be a good alternative and it tends to be softer.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marra View Post
I need a little more info
- how many goos are you gonna have in there?
- how old/big are they (for spacing in back corner)

I make my hammocks for my goos they chew the ropes I tie to the bars so it is cheaper/ easier for me to make them myself just make sure you use the right material My goos love their hammocks
I have the green aquarium carpet on my metal ladders and wire wheels they take it off and put it the nest so I have to replace it bout 2x a week
I am so excited for you and cant wait to see some pics

I am hoping to get a bonded pair of males and I am not sure how old they are. Judging from the pictures of them they look like they are small enough to fit in the palm of a hand, so I am guessing they are still babies?

If that falls through I have been looking around for a place to adopt a pair. I wouldn't mind two pairs but I don't know if the cage is big enough and I don't want to have baby degus running all over, lol.

@ Sasami- I'm not sure what kind of paint it is, I was told the cage is refurbished with pet safe paint. The woman who sold it to me seemed to know what she was talking about as she had her ferret in it and a pair of degus had previously been in it. She gave me quite a few tips as well.

Thank you for replying, and I hope to get good pics once it is all set up
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Newborn Pup

okay guessing here but I would not leave a space at all they might be able to get out of

You could always try bread ties if it is close my goos dont try to hard when they push and get no where. Just experience goos are always different

<~Eva,Juliet,Harriette and Sally~>
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Playful Pup

Kiln dried pine is fine, though if it isnt kiln dried, pine is toxic. check out www.degutopia.co.uk for more info. They have a great website with a ton of advice over everything- thats what i found! C:

The Gang!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP MOJO
<3

The 'Goo's

The Terminator Fish~ Backwards Eddie
& more!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Newborn Pup

Two adult Degus require at least a cage 20"DX40"WX40"tall. I cover bottom, back and shelves with hard plastic they use in bathrooms for shower walls. All edges are trimed in kiln dried pine. Degus can only chew edges, not flat surfaces because of the angle of their front teeth. I use Aspen shavings and give them toilet papercotton balls and shreded paper for nesting. Hang a roll in cage and enjoy the fun they have unrolling it.

Tags
cage, decor, degu, home