Cardboard as toys - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Cardboard as toys

My two babies, Myandi and Paprika, love to play with cardboard rolls (such as paper towels or toilet paper). They also have a small trinket box for hiding. They do not hide in anything, they sleep curled together in their crock food dish and paly with the cardboard items by pushing them or re-arranging their home. Degu Baby, my 4 1/2 month old who loves alone by choice, will destroy any thing resembling cardboard be it a box, a roll, or a tube. Why?...as soon as I place it in her home she goes into a frenzy until it is competely unrecognizable...and this will be only a matter of hours if not by the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Every Degu is different just like humans. Some will rip cardboard to pieces and shread it and some don't. My oldest Degu Basil shreads anything you place in his cage whilst Bertie and Herbie and my babies don't. They just seem to have a little nibble and then either throw them around or use them as a toilet

On a side note, have you tried reintroducing them recently as things can change in days with Degu's and just because it didn't work out first time it doesn't mean it wouldn't in future as Degu's are highly social?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Every Degu is different just like humans. Some will rip cardboard to pieces and shread it and some don't. My oldest Degu Basil shreads anything you place in his cage whilst Bertie and Herbie and my babies don't. They just seem to have a little nibble and then either throw them around or use them as a toilet

On a side note, have you tried reintroducing them recently as things can change in days with Degu's and just because it didn't work out first time it doesn't mean it wouldn't in future as Degu's are highly social?
Same with my degus...Ichigo shreds stuff while Hikaru mostly nibbles and plays with cardcoard tubes. Rosie just hides in them. So it just depends.

I'd also try re-introducing them .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:16 AM

my degus dont seem to notice the cardboard tubes but i always put them in. i never thought cardboard with color or writing on it like a cleanex box would be healthy for degus. am i right?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 07:41 PM

Mine love the cardboard tubes, just remember to cut them along the length, because the little critters could get stuck inside them..