cleaning cage when pregnant - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
vic

Question cleaning cage when pregnant

quick question.... Speedy, our female, who I suspect may be pregnant, built a nest in the corner. When I clean the cage can I disturb her beautifully built nest?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
quick question.... Speedy, our female, who I suspect may be pregnant, built a nest in the corner. When I clean the cage can I disturb her beautifully built nest?

Thanks.
I would try and avoid touching the nest, and just clean around it.. If and when the babies come, you will have to avoid cleaning out the cage for a few weeks or so anyway.. The best thing to do is just clean out any droppings and soiled sawdust or whatever else you use, and try not to disturb the nest!
Good luck!

Last edited by PURPLEBUNNY; 02-01-2005 at 08:02 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with what Steph said, I wouldn't disturb the nest.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

In my experience in raising degus(I have raised several healthy litters) you can hold the babies as soon as they are born.I always cleaned the cages even if they had babies.I have picked up a little one as soon as they were dry.
They are like Chinchillas only slick haired.I have heard some people call them a poor mans chinchilla.
Their diet is 1/2 chinchilla food and 1/2 guniea pig food.
Degus are nothing like hamsters.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Well said Runt, I couldnt agree more. I cleaned my degus cages within days of babies being born.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
vic

hmmm, I guess I can try to 'disturb' the nest as little as possible but continue to clean the rest of the cage/aquarium as usual. However, isn't it 'unhygenic' to not change the bedding, paper, cotton, used for the nest before the babies are born.. considering the gestation is 3 months?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
hmmm, I guess I can try to 'disturb' the nest as little as possible but continue to clean the rest of the cage/aquarium as usual. However, isn't it 'unhygenic' to not change the bedding, paper, cotton, used for the nest before the babies are born.. considering the gestation is 3 months?
Well, the nest shouldn't get that dirty. They usually go to the bathroom in one corner of the cage and it's not usually that close to the nest.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 PM

The nest can be cleaned. When I had my degus I cleaned the entire cage weekly whether there was babies or not, the mom doest mind the babies being handled.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Quote:
hmmm, I guess I can try to 'disturb' the nest as little as possible but continue to clean the rest of the cage/aquarium as usual. However, isn't it 'unhygenic' to not change the bedding, paper, cotton, used for the nest before the babies are born.. considering the gestation is 3 months?hmmm, I guess I can try to 'disturb' the nest as little as possible but continue to clean the rest of the cage/aquarium as usual. However, isn't it 'unhygenic' to not change the bedding, paper, cotton, used for the nest before the babies are born.. considering the gestation is 3 months?
It doesn't matter you need to clean the cage.It is in an aquarium and when they pee there is a amonia smell that is not good for mom or babies.
Don't use cotton it can get wrapped around the feet and cut off circulation and cause them to lose a leg.You can give them toilet paper if you want.Mine just used the bedding to have her babies.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
vic

thanks for the advice all.

Tags
pig food