Photos! Color Variations In Degu's - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Talking Color Variations In Degu's

100_0730.jpg

100_0737.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0726.jpg

Has anyone seen this color variation before? I think it's pretty cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Yes I have

I've done a bit of research on the degu mutations, and as far as I know there are the following:
Agouti
Blue
White

Most often when people talk about white degus, they are white/agouti coloured.

I've seen a few pics of animals like the ones you are showing
It's "just" a blue/agouti colour.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yup, that variation is fairly common, some degus are just more grey .

There are other known colors like Chinchi pointed out but in general, the degu community looks down upon purposely breeding them because of health problems.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Adolescent Pup

Most of my degu's were that color. I think its pretty.

1 Amazing Husband
1 Beautiful daughter
3 dogs, 2 Ferrets, 1 cat, 2 Doves 30+ fancy mice,4 turtles,
1 house bunny,55 gallon fish tank
& rescues

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 AM

Sasami:
That must be an american thing (not trying to judge).
A lot of germans and a few other european countries breed the white mutations with out any problems.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Looking at the mother and father I don't see where the babies got that coloring. The first litter we had didn't have any strange but cool coloring they were all normal. This happened to be my male's first litter, but he is seperated now from the female's and the babies will soon be seperated by sex's as well so no more little babies for this gal. I LOVE them but it's very costly
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Sasami:
That must be an american thing (not trying to judge).
A lot of germans and a few other european countries breed the white mutations with out any problems.
If I remember correctly, though, it's done through a lot of inbreeding which makes people nervous because degus are already so inbred (and we're seeing shorter lifespans as time passes). I could be thinking of a different color, though, maybe the white ones are ok. I just feel that breeders should be trying to improve the health of degus, not make cool colors. It seems like the species as a whole is becoming weaker and more prone to behavioral issues .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM

It is the white you are thinking about, and I do agree.
But often a species will have have some problems in the US and others in Europe.

Some of your animals are all fine, where ours are quite bad, and the other way around.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
It is the white you are thinking about, and I do agree.
But often a species will have have some problems in the US and others in Europe.

Some of your animals are all fine, where ours are quite bad, and the other way around.
Very true, look at male mice and their totally different temperaments in various countries!

I just feel like even if the white mutations seem healthy, we might see problems down the line globally. That's why I don't recommend anyone, anywhere, try to purposely breed them .

(I've also noticed that even in different parts of the U.S. we're seeing different lifespans and health issues in degus. It's something that I really plan to research.)

~Stephanie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM

I know what you mean.
In general I think new mutations are stupid. They can be quite nice to look at, but in the long run a lot of animals have a way too short lifespan because of people breeding specific mutations.

We have a problem with mouse breeders over here. They think it's totally fine to inbreed for 4 or 5 generations, because it's not going to show until then... Same goes for rats. No wonder they have so many problems with behaviour and cancer...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'll keep you posted on how long my little guys live. I bought the males and females from seperate breeders as not to have inbreeding as a problem but have found that there is really no market here in Indiana for the little fellas so I will be keeping them all (Hopefully my new cage arrives this week for the little ones). I didn't even know that my degu's were a different color then the others until the babies just now are showing 2 colors in there coloring. So hopefully they are not inbreed, I was very careful when I purchased mom and dad as not to do that, hopefully they all will live a long and healthy life with me I Heart them all so much
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Newborn Pup

their fur/hair looks particularly short? is that normal?

Tags
color varirations