combining degus - again! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

combining degus - again!

sorry guys! yet another question about getting degus together...

i'm trying to get jerry and raisin in together... at the minute they are still living seperately (until i have time to blitz the cage and put them in together - hopefully this weekend).

I'm letting them in together in the evening to see how they get on, and last night went really well!!! They were in together for about 2 and a bit hours (running, exploring/ignoring each other) and there was nice grooming. They even snuggled together on a heat pad for about half an hour and groomed each other.....

but then they started the boxing type fighting.... its not too bad but i was just wondering how long this is likely to go on for.... all other signs are good, but i don't know how long to let them fight for!

??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:51 PM

The boxing-type fighting is usually when they disagree with each other...This happens for my boys all the time. I just have to knock on their cage and say, "BOYS! Bad. No fighting." And then they stop. It doesn't happen too often...I think that, just like people, degus have disagreements. It's probably nothing to worry about as long as they don't harm each other.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Eh. Mine do the boxing-type fighting every day at mealtime. And sometimes when it's NOT mealtime. I pretty much ignore it as long as they're being rowdy and making lots of noise. I've heard you really only need to worry if they are fighting tied up in a little knot with each other and are quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaawwww i'm so glad to hear after all they have been through that they are now getting along. I wouldn't worry too much about the boxing as its nothing really to worry about as all degu's box from time to time, i know my boys do and its just normally either play fighting or sorting out who is going to be the boss. The only time to worry is if it is proper fighting like we have talked about before where they have to be seperated as they are in a ball and fur is flying. Remember in a degu partnership there has to be one boss and there will be the odd squabble to start off with but all the signs sound good so far for these two

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

thats what i thought! its not the bad fighting they had before, but it goes on for 15 minutes... +

i just wondered if there was some sort of "cut off" for fighting, eg 30mins or something?

they actually look forward to getting into each other sides of the cage.... jerry has now figured out what a wheel is, but he's not as graceful as raisin....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

15 minutes is rather a long time as they normally stop after a few minutes (in my boys cases) but as long as they are happy with each other and it doesn't break out into real fighting and no one has been harmed then i wouldn't worry too much. They will sort themselves out and i'm sure be very happy together

Kirsty

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

well i'm hoping that the boxing is becuase they are still in one of there specific sides of the cage, and when i pressure wash everything in it and remove the centre divide, replace bedding etc so there is less smell, then the boxing will not be as long!

i will however have the divide on standby incase it all goes wrong!

i think it will work though... the snuggling on the heat pad was great... jerry was lying on top of raisin and getting away with it!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think once they are in together full time and they have worked out whose in charge of what they will be fine, there is always going to be squabbles as there is between most degu's but i'm sure things will work out wonderfully for you

I love it when degu's snuggle it's just the cutest thing

Kirsty

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

i'd love to get a pic of them snuggling, but if i go anywhere near the cage (particularly with a camera), they move!!!

i have to sneak up on them... raisin is always too alert!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 02:55 AM

Hmm, it might be that they still haven't sorted out who's dominant, and that's why they've been fighting for such long periods of time... But I have the same experiences as Amethystbelle. They will box when I give them food they like, or when they're squabbling over the wheel or something...But it only lasts for less than a minute to about 2 minutes or so. Not much. I have them outside my room so if I hear anything really loud and fierce going on, I go and break it up.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I give up!

tried again yesterday to combine them! 45minutes of boxing.... no sign of letting up... guess they're destined to remain seperate!!!

tried swapping bedding, vanilla sand baths, new cage/neutral territory... you name it!!!

its a shame because they really looked like they were getting on last week! two hours of snuggling/grooming!!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Is the boxing fighting though? The kind i have described before that i have experienced? As if it is just boxing and its not turning into a real fight then if you leave them to it and just keep an eye on them then they should be ok and will sort themselves out if not then maybe they aren't destined to be together but the signs you have told us about spund promising so far. It might just take a little longer to get them together full time. Plus also when they get along you remove them from each other again so everytime you put them together they have to get to know one another again. I would try them in together again and let them sort themselves out. If the fighting turns nasty split them but if not they should sort themselves out even if it takes an hour or two they should find who is in charge etc.... If they do fight then i agree maybe they aren't meant to be in together but male degu's are tricky customers to combine and i think you and the boys have come to far to give up just yet. I know how disheartening it is as i have been there a few times but when it works out the results are definately worth it

Kirsty

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

yes... the standing on hind legs, paws on each others shoulders boxing type fighting! then the push apart and there is teeth chattering and rear end showing.

it wasn't calming down after 45 mins. it was escalating slightly... there was some fur pulling out of rear ends. i know i should leave them longer to get it out of their systems, but i worry.

a while back jerry got in with rum and raisin overnight, and almost died he took such a battering. he was quite ill afterwards. I know there were two against one and its possible it was something else (as he needed antibiotics), but i worry about it happening again.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know how you feel as i've been there, twice had success and i've also failed once hence Basil prefering the batchelor life style. It is a case of knowing when you are beat but i think that there is still hopefully a chance for these two. Set yourself a date when if they aren't in together and looks like they won't ever be that you will stop and let them be on there own if thats what they want. But i think there is still a chance for these two as number one they can and do get along and number two they are haven't actually had a real fight its just been a bit of nipping and a tussle so far. I'd give them a little longer and if they won't accept each other then so be it. They are next to each other so its not as if they are entirely alone and although its not the same as having company to cuddle upto its still company of their own kind all the same

Kirsty

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the support!

i'll keep trying, and try not to get disheartened about it!!!

theyve ignored each other for the past 24 hours though! theyre sulky tonight!!! just made them heatpads to make them happy!

Tags
hind legs