Confused about willow! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Confused about willow!

I've read that willow isn't safe for degus (causes respiratory problems), but my local pets at home is selling "Willow Stix" made by Happypet.co.uk, in the small animal section.

Is it safe or not?

I'd love for my degus to have something else to chew on, but rummy has a chest infection at the mo (lots of nasty vets trips!) and i don't want to make him worse!!

any ideas appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:18 PM

I don't know much about degus, but pet stores often sell things that are not healthy for the animal advertised. For example, one rabbit food sold in pet stores is made with sun flower seeds and cheese...Neither of which should be fed to a rabbit.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i did wonder.... it seems daft because its normally quite a good pet shop! Does the toxic thing therefore apply to all small mammals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 PM

Pet stores usually don't eliminate bad products, but warn you about them if you ask, or are about to purchase them. This isn't as sign that this is a bad pet shop at all, and it also might just be degus who are allergic to willow.

Afterall, alfalfa isn't good for them either, and my guinea pigs loved it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would avoid the willow as it can cause respiratory problems and sometimes sickness in degu's. I have seen the sticks too and no they aren't toxic to all small animals just degu's as far as i know. The only safe woods for degu's are kiln dried pine, eating apple, hazlenut and hawthorn and these must be as organic as possible.

A few of the things my degu's love from pets at home are those wooden stix that can be turned into a ramp or a hidey hole, they love to chew those up and also in my local branch they do these cute little wooden houses with little round windows with apex roofs. My boys love theirs infact the babies love theirs so much there isn't much left of it now but 3 sides and half the roof Also look in the bird section at the wooden ladders (they are about £2) they are safe to use aswell and my boys love to climb up theres and have a nibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
Afterall, alfalfa isn't good for them either, and my guinea pigs loved it.
Degu's can have alfalfa in small quantities as long as its good quality stuff and its not given too often

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

I'll avoid the willow especially because of Rums current breathing problems! :-(

I buy them those flexible wooden things... they love them....
I'm going to invest in the wooden houses when they get their new cage!!
and i've tried the ladders.... it lasted a week because jerry chewed him in half, rendering it useless!!

i just wanted some plain wood sticks i can give them to gnaw on! degus just aren't well catered for in pet shops (although it is getting better)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do you know anyone with an eating apple tree? They would make ideal sticks to give them occasionally if you strip the bark off

Kirsty

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

I used to, but they moved :-(
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You could try getting them some kiln dried pine from a wood yard or branches of a hazelnut or hawthorn as they are safe to use too If not if you have a local petshop (not pets at home) try asking in there as they might stock something suitable or be able to order you something in i know my local one does as i've had a few things from there or try searching the net as you never know

Kirsty

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:16 PM

Just a quick question here.. Why strip the bark off of the apple sticks?
I'm just curious because that seems to be the only part my degus eat
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Some people think thats the bit that holds the nasties such as bugs etc... and either remove the bark or bake it for a few minutes. I'm with you mine love the bark as well and thats the bit they strip off first but i bake mine at the bottom of a medium heated over for 30 minutes normally to kill of anything that might be under the bark just to be on the safe side. Its just a precautionary thing if you aren't sure what has been on the wood

Kirsty

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

i soak mine in very boiling water with a very mild disinfectant!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 PM

Oh ok.. I ususally bake mine too. I was just wondering if there was a reason they shouldn't have the bark. I'm just an overprotective mommy I ask a lot of questions

Tags
dried pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, rabbit food