:confused: any ideas? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

:confused: any ideas?

Hi everyone, i have a strange problem today, well not really a problem (i hope) but a situation. I have 2 degus Charles and Oliver, and last night when i put new sand/dust in to the cage Charlie started to lick at it and (maybe) eat a little. I have never know or seen them doing this before and its strange. As any one else seen this happen? Any one know why?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My chinchillas will taste new dust bath.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

but why?, i'm sure it can'nt be because it tastes good can it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I havent seen mine do that, but then again when they are rolling in it, it goes all over their food, and they eat that..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thats very true.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Part of the Pack

yeap, i've seen mine eat it when attached to brocolli!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i can understand that but for him to sit there and eat it stright from the dust bath. any ideas why?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think its something to do with their digestive systems as to why they eat sand but i'm not 100% sure on that but i think i have read something about that before

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I think its something to do with their digestive systems as to why they eat sand but i'm not 100% sure on that but i think i have read something about that before
oh right you wouldnt be able to find out where would you that would be great. thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

It's sort of the same thing as why dogs eat grass I think. They can feel something wrong with their tummies and eat grass to try to correct it. I guess degus do the same with dust. I have "gravel" that is espeically made to help soak up urine smell, etc. which is perfectly safe for them to eat, so it says, but sometimes they eat lots of it - but I think they are fine

Look Into My Voice
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRAWLD
It's sort of the same thing as why dogs eat grass I think. They can feel something wrong with their tummies and eat grass to try to correct it. I guess degus do the same with dust. I have "gravel" that is espeically made to help soak up urine smell, etc. which is perfectly safe for them to eat, so it says, but sometimes they eat lots of it - but I think they are fine
thanks

Tags
dust bath