Cuddling and Possible Eye Injury? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Cuddling and Possible Eye Injury?

I walked in my room to take pictures of the bunnies and all three degus were on the very top level snuggling .

I tried to get a better picture but as soon as I walked over they all ran down and asked to come out . This happens every time I try to get good pictures of them cuddling.

Anyways, the main point of this post was that Hikaru seems to have something wrong with one of her eyes. She isn't holding it all the way open...only about half way. There's no discharge, she still has vision, and she's acting perfectly normal. She doesn't appear to be in any pain either. Any ideas? I'd rather not bring her to the vet if there isn't really much wrong...it stresses her out which tends to make things worse. Not to mention my vet isn't exactly a degu expert (no one knows what degus are around here...I'm amazed our vet even sees them). Whatever it is seems permanent but since it isn't causing her any trouble I don't know if I should be doing anything . Maybe I'll call the vet but I doubt they'll do anything. She's three years old, by the way.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 AM

I would just keep an eye on it for now.
If there is no discharge, funny colour from it, and if the Goo seems to go on with life as per usual, it's probably not a big deal. Could have poked it, or got some dust in it ect.
I have had gerbils with a similar thing, and i just whipe the eye with a soft damp peice of toilet paper. Usually after that, or the next day the eye is fine again.
Good luck, and i hope it clears up by the morning

PS - Super Cute picture!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 AM

I agree - keep an eye on it and make sure its doesn't get any worse.
Also check her teeth, as the two are usually related.
It might also be cold/allergy related....

hope shes okay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Thanks!

It's still the same...I honestly don't think it will get any better or worse. I hope one of the other degus didn't scratch her or something.

I checked all of their teeth the other day when I was playing with them and they were fine. I thought about allergies but then wouldn't it be both eyes? I'm not sure.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

How is your little girl doing now?

Greyt pic BTW!They are super cute!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She's still acting the same. It's so weird.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:22 PM

The eye still bothering her?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, it's not bothering her. That's why it's kind of strange. She just won't open it all the way...but she can still see and I doubt she's in pain.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM

That is very strange.
How long has it been like this now?
I'd think if it keeps up maybe just call the Vet and tell them what's going on.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's been like this for at least a week. I honestly don't think the vet will do anything =/. He'll probably say to bring her in, they'll charge a few hundred dollars, and then not even know what's wrong and will say "just keep an eye on it". No one knows what degus are around here...this is the only vet that treats them and he really is not an expert . Obviously if there was an emergency or they just needed a general check-up I'd bring them in, though. The vet stresses her out alot so I worry about her getting worse.

I'll probably call anyway but I just don't know what to do . Do you think that she might've gotten a small injury and now her eye will be like this forever?

Is there a point in trying to fix it if it isn't causing any problems? I mean, other then looking a bit strange there's nothing wrong. No discharge or anything and she's perfectly happy. And she definately has sight.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The thing to remember is degus have quite a high pain threshold so she might not exhibit any other symptoms. If she is still eating, drinking and acting normally then i personally think its something to do with the eye itself, possibly an injury or irritation and it is irritating her hence the eye not being fully open. Have you had a good look at it? Is there anything on the eye surface? As its odd that after a week it still isn't any better. Thats why i was wondering if there was any marks on the eye surface as if she has had her eye scratched, it could have become ulcerated (which wouldn't necessarily leave discharge) and would take a while to set in hence the eye being semi closed and her acting normally. But it could be one of many things. I would give her a good check over especially the bad eye, see if you can see anything out of the ordinary on it. If you can't and you are still worried then i would maybe ring your vet and speak to them and see what they say. Explain to them that you only really want to bring her in as a last resort as it stresses her out. Keep us posted on how she is

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
The thing to remember is degus have quite a high pain threshold so she might not exhibit any other symptoms. If she is still eating, drinking and acting normally then i personally think its something to do with the eye itself, possibly an injury or irritation and it is irritating her hence the eye not being fully open. Have you had a good look at it? Is there anything on the eye surface? As its odd that after a week it still isn't any better. Thats why i was wondering if there was any marks on the eye surface as if she has had her eye scratched, it could have become ulcerated (which wouldn't necessarily leave discharge) and would take a while to set in hence the eye being semi closed and her acting normally. But it could be one of many things. I would give her a good check over especially the bad eye, see if you can see anything out of the ordinary on it. If you can't and you are still worried then i would maybe ring your vet and speak to them and see what they say. Explain to them that you only really want to bring her in as a last resort as it stresses her out. Keep us posted on how she is
I've checked it over but it seems completely normal. I'll try and call the vet, though.

I'll keep you guys updated .

~Stephanie

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:34 PM

Probably really late to reply in that you already may know what is wrong since I think you were mentioning you would see a vet. One of my girls had a very similar thing, and she fixed it herself. Her eyelid was actually folded inward (the lower lid). When I got a hold of her I attempted to help her out but she didn't like that very much. The next morning, she was back to normal but had a little gash out of the bottom of the lid which I can only guess was from her claw pulling the lid back into place. Just thinking that's what it could be for yours also. Best of luck.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRAWLD
Probably really late to reply in that you already may know what is wrong since I think you were mentioning you would see a vet. One of my girls had a very similar thing, and she fixed it herself. Her eyelid was actually folded inward (the lower lid). When I got a hold of her I attempted to help her out but she didn't like that very much. The next morning, she was back to normal but had a little gash out of the bottom of the lid which I can only guess was from her claw pulling the lid back into place. Just thinking that's what it could be for yours also. Best of luck.
Thanks. Neither me or the vet is 100% sure what happend but it looks like one of the other degus might have scratched her or something. Since it isn't healing it might be permenent but she still has vision at least. If I can find another exotics vet maybe I'll try to get a second opinion but I honestly don't think it's something that bothers her and I would hate stressing her out by bringing her into different vets and using medications just to fix something so it looks "normal".

~Stephanie