Degu acting very strangely - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Degu acting very strangely

I just got home from work about 10 minutes ago and I went in to check on my degus. I noticed one was running around the cage like he was really hyper. I realize now that it's because he seems to be VERY easily spooked (which is not normally the case). He just keeps standing still and almost making little teeny tiny shaking/ heaving movements (although it's mostly just his paws making this movements so I'm not sure). I gave them their favorite treats and the other one pigged out but this one just stood there looking terrified. He's been running in the wheel a bit but I haven't seem much else since I just got home.

He looks just plain SCARED yet he's letting me touch him more than usual before running away. Maybe the scared look is pain? But any noise or movement in the room sends him into a panic, so I'm guessing fear. I have no idea what happened today but does anyone have any suggestions? I'm one of those paranoid pet owners and this is really strange behavior for him. Right now he's staring at the wall (which he never does). I'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Hi there. Poor little mite... it could be a number of things. His paw movements may indicate a mouth problem, such as a tooth problem or a mouth infection, which could be causing him pain and distress.

It could be seizures, with him shaking and staring into space.

Whatever it is, I'd get him to a vet as soon as possible. I hope he picks up.

Is he normally calm/friendly?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you're worried, I'd take him to a vet.

He might just have been spooked really, really badly by something while you were gone but there's no way to tell.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd basically keep a very close eye on him for a start as it sounds like he has been badly spooked by something with all the symptoms you have described. Or maybe there might have been a small fight between him and his brother that has caused him to panic. The symptoms i think that you are seeing are the ones degu's make in a panic. When he is making these small head/ paw movements is he making a sound also? Or is it just movement? When they are scared or frightened they can shake slightly and are restless and they also tend to either refuse treats or take them but can't eat them for fear. Normally if a degu is ill they will go quiet and lethargic and look withdrawn as they don't tend to show signs of pain till in the latter stages. Do you know if he has been eating and drinking normally upto yesterday? As behaviour beforehand is often a clue.

I personally don't think the symptoms warrant a vet visit just yet as by removing him for the environment you could spook him out more but if you are at all worried maybe contact your vet and ask their advice. I would watch him closely for the next few hours and see if he calms down any. If not or he gets worse maybe ring your vet and see what they say and take him down there and get him checked out. Goodluck and keep us updated on the little fellow

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

He had been acting perfectly fine up until then (eating, drinking, etc). When he was making the little hand movements, there was a really faint clicking noise that he was making (sort of like a low version of chattering). He seems to be much better now, he even took a piece of shredded wheat (one of his favorites). He has been eating and drinking normally throughout the night.

That's really weird though, I wonder what spooked him. There weren't any shavings on the floor which usually happens after a fight and none of the shavings in the cage were displaced. They aren't directly in front of a window but they can probably see out of it from where they are (I'm not sure how good their vision is). Maybe a bird was outside or one hit the window? Weird...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I definately think that if he has calmed down now then it sounds like he had been spooked by something. I don't think there is anything wrong with him as normally if they have teeth problems or are generally unwell they will stop eating and drinking and become quiet and withdrawn. I think he has been spooked by something with everything you told us. Its probably something they have heard or seen 100 times before but just this one time it has caught him of guard and spooked him out. Is he ok now?

Kirsty

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

He seems fine now. He's back to his curious, active self. I'm really puzzled about what spooked him but I guess it doesn't matter since he seems fine now

Thanks for the help everyone. Sometimes I just need reassurance or ideas so I don't lose my mind everytime one of my pets acts funny, lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think we all need reassurance from time to time

I'm glad to hear he is back to his oldself again. I don't think you will ever truly know what upset him but the main thing is he is ok now

Kirsty

Tags
pet owner, shredded wheat, vet visit