Degu cages...she's chewing out! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

I understand that glass or iron are the only two substances known to mankind to effectively house degus. I don't want glass as it isn't roomy enough, plus it holds odors more. So,...I have mine in a large parakeet cage. I have 4 rats in one such cage with glee...the degu is incessively chewing on every ground level bar her teeth will reach, which has become a complete internal perimeter! Will she break through? I found out the hard way that degu teeth will break through my finger with ease. What is a great degu cage? Where do I purchase it? My birthday is this month,...anybody willing to donate a cage my way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:11 PM

I got a metal.My Degu would chew on the bars and he is doing peeling of thepaint.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I suggest a chinchilla cage they are very roomy and tend to be completely made out of metal including the base which is a necessity in my opinion with degu's. The higher the cage the better as degu's seem to like height plus the more room for shelves and rope which they love also

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I suggest a chinchilla cage they are very roomy and tend to be completely made out of metal including the base which is a necessity in my opinion with degu's. The higher the cage the better as degu's seem to like height plus the more room for shelves and rope which they love also
I second that! Mine have a three-level chinchilla cage.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:00 PM

Yep mine have a multi level cage..
Heres two pics...

I have changed the lay out since.. But you can see that there are many levels etc in it..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Where did u get your cages? They are spacious, colorful (did they atcually come in color?), and $?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 PM

Cool degu cage

We remade a rabbit cage (living world brand) we took the base (plastic but deep) and took the lid off the top and built chicken wire up for a second story then attached the cage lid to the chicken wire and ours just love it...they are continuously re-arranging it and get very upset when it's cleaned out and put back into order. LOL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 05:08 AM

My cage I got from a pet shop.. I searched on the internet for ages looking for the right one.. It cost about £145, which I know is a lot, but it does the job! The plastic shelves did not come with it, thats from their old one which was a Ferplast one.. I rearrange it every so often, and I clean it out properly every 2 weeks.. I also tidy it up every day, when I take them out for their sandbath..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 PM

i have two huge hamster cages stuck together with a network of tunnels Above and two attchment wheels- would this be enough space for a degu or two?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianSapphire View Post
i have two huge hamster cages stuck together with a network of tunnels Above and two attchment wheels- would this be enough space for a degu or two?
Nope, sorry. Degus are much larger than hamsters and wouldn't really fit in the tubes. Besides, degus chew through plastic--they'd be out of the cage in no time!

Chinchilla and large rat cages are usually more appropriate for degus.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
chicken wire, level cage, pet shop, rabbit cage