degu chewing cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

degu chewing cage?

hi, i have two degu's and one keeps chewing his cage next to the door and as far as i can see and hear its only while im in the room. i get them out every morning befor work and every night after work, they also have about an hour in the ball on top of this. plenty of toys and wood to chew and also food available. any ideas? cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How large is the cage? Maybe get some new toys and start rotating them to make things more interesting. Also try to get puzzle-type toys that'll keep the degus busy (such as a toilet paper roll sealed and filled with hay/treats, a "Nut Knot Nibbler", a toy they have to shred/chew through to get to a treat, etc). Try hiding their regular food around the cage, too, to encourage foraging.

Unfortunately, if the behavior persists, it sometimes starts to become a habit. If you can, block off the section of wires s/he chews or put something else there to chew (weave cardboard around the wires, for example).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the cage is big enough for 4 lol and thanks for that ill post how i get on x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Newborn Pup

my degus chews the cage after i put them back in after being out running round for an hour. It makes me feel soooo bad cuz they just wanna come bak out again and then when i'm reaching in to get something in their cage i have to put my hand at the door to stop them getting out and they bite me it doesnt bleed or anything but there can be a small bit of a scrape. Its only after play time they are like this! And i try to let them out for an hour everyday!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairead116 View Post
my degus chews the cage after i put them back in after being out running round for an hour. It makes me feel soooo bad cuz they just wanna come bak out again and then when i'm reaching in to get something in their cage i have to put my hand at the door to stop them getting out and they bite me it doesnt bleed or anything but there can be a small bit of a scrape. Its only after play time they are like this! And i try to let them out for an hour everyday!!
An hour actually isn't too long for most degus (some people have really, really large enclosures and then the degus don't need as much free time) but maybe try giving them their salads right after playtime? Then they have something to look forward to and it'll keep them busy while you do things in the cage .

If they aren't drawing blood, they're probably just trying to move your hand. I've been bitten by a degu who actually wanted to hurt me and let me tell you, they can bite HARD! My friend has a scar from an angry degu .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
degu chewing cage