Degu comatose? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Degu comatose?

It just lies there, mouth open, limp. It's heart is beating slowly.
It's gerbil friend bob just died, we think that might have something to do with it. It seems dead, it's just NOT.

Anyway, hardly any body heat, and it's been going on for a while.
She ate this morning, too.

Help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Actually, this has/had been going on since 3:30-4. So that's about 4 hours. She's just holding on. But, it seems she's getting better. I posted this in the Urgent Pet Cares forum, but no one replied. I know the people here probably offer more support. She's my friend's degu, but we're all very close to her. She eats and drinks, and still goes crazy over those rodent lab chow blocks (don't they all). We blended vegetables, have water, and she's under a lamp because she was very cold. She's breathing nicely now, sleeping. She reacts to what we do but seems very sleepy. Before, she didn't. She also got up, moved her head, sat up, moved around and attempted to eat those rodent blocks. But we just blended them up with water. xD She loved that.

Does anyone have any opinions...?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Please get her to a vet asap. They can help more then an online forum.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I don't know about that now. She's running around, exploring, eating. She's basically well again. What can a vet do now? Tell us she's okay?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 PM

It might be an underlying problem that could return. I'd take her in just to be sure and to calm my worries, but that's just me.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
Well I don't know about that now. She's running around, exploring, eating. She's basically well again. What can a vet do now? Tell us she's okay?
Well, personally, if it was my degu I'd at least call the vet to get their opinion. There was obviously something wrong.

Is she going to the bathroom? How is her breathing?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Well, personally, if it was my degu I'd at least call the vet to get their opinion. There was obviously something wrong.

Is she going to the bathroom? How is her breathing?
Her breathing is perfectly fine. She's climbing on my keyboard now, sniffing my fingers, exploring, being mischievious. She's going to the bathroom, and it looks perfectly fine.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Her breathing is perfectly fine. She's climbing on my keyboard now, sniffing my fingers, exploring, being mischievious. She's going to the bathroom, and it looks perfectly fine.
That's good. I'd still call the vet, though, to see if they have any idea of what happend.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes, we'll contact one just to inquire about any possibilities.

Thanks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Yes, we'll contact one just to inquire about any possibilities.

Thanks.
Ok, good .

I hope she's ok!

~Stephanie

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

She's so happy nowww. ^^ We went out and bought veggies.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

http://pics-84.hi5.com/userpics/184/...304184.img.jpg

This is how she looked shortly after she got up again.
We made sure she went back to sleep and slept a bit more to fully recover her energy. She slept for another while.

http://pics-89.hi5.com/userpics/189/...304189.img.jpg

That's just my brilliant picture.

http://pics-03.hi5.com/userpics/203/...304203.img.jpg

That's a picture my friend took of her contently munching broccoli.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The symptoms you described were odd ones as they are normally exhibited in the last stages of a degu's life and i've never actually heard of it happening to a perfectly healthy degu before. My feeling is if they can become lonely and have the feelings of depression then why not grief as well so maybe the death of her friend caused the above state as there seems to be no other cause unless of course there is something else wrong. Sasami is right i would seek the advice of your vet to make sure there is no other underlying cause as degu's do hide pain very well and it is worthwhile getting her checked out to make sure she is 100% as maybe pain also could have made her exhibit there symptoms. Glad she is feeling better though

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 03-22-2006 at 04:50 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

She's perfectly healthy now. I have a feeling if I hadn't have forced my friend to bring the little bugger over, she would've passed on...
We're going out soon to find friends for her.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:55 PM

How do you know she's perfectly healthy? Unless she had tests done and was checked over by a vet, you can't be sure. Even then, it's tricky to know 100% if she's okay.