degu cries when chest touch - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

degu cries when chest touch

i might be posting too much about my goos but... my two degus have been fighting an awful lot (boxing, ,mounting) and they squeal quietly when doing it. i picked Tony up and he starts to squeal and bite when touched. we thought he was initiating the fight as he is the dominant one and was just getting aggressive but he started to sound more hurt and so i gently picked him up ( i think i was a bit rough up until now) and gently touched his arm and underarms he squealed when i touched his underarm and bit me and locked his jaw when i touched the other one.we , what's wrong? we brought in a baby field mouse on Friday night and she passed away on the Sunday night :'( we believe it was hantavirus and the carrier we kept her in is under the cage... i don't know if that is relevant but i also have the symptoms of hantavirus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

You need to see a doctor for your sake and the sake of your pets. Why do you believe that the mouse was carrying hantavirus and died of it?

Doesn't mean that your degu has hantavirus. He could just have muscle pain from the fighting but, if you notice any other symptoms, maybe he too needs to see a doctor (vet).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

he is worse now and we dont think its hantavirus but he is very sensative on his right side and is seeing the vets tomorrow. he is not eating or drinking but has put on 5g since yesterday. he is eating more than before but not nearly enouh as normal! i was feeling him and checking which parts were sensative and i think i felt a lump!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Poor Tony! (I hope it is something treatable like an infected injury that can be treated with antibiotics.)

Best of luck at the vet. Please, please keep me posted.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

How is Tony doing? What did the vet say?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

tony had an inflamed stomach and had anti inflamitorys, it went away for a bit and now has come back.... good job he likes the anti inflamitorys!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Did the vet say why his stomach was/is inflamed? (Usually it's caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Does he have diarrhea or any other symptoms?)

Lucky that Tony likes the anti-inflammatorys. Right now I'm giving one of my goos Baytril – he got in a fight with another goo and his eyelid got scratched and is all swollen. The antibiotics are to prevent infection. He hates taking his meds. It takes two of us to administer it to him.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well, good luck with that. i thin its just boys being boys, i saw mo pin him to a ball in their cage and tony bent right round it, it could also be the way i pick them up. My mum and brother dont like picking them p so i always have to and when they escape we have to make surethe rabbit wont attack, so its a matter of tonys stomach hurting every now and again or tony being killed my the rabbit....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Playful Pup

Right after I read this post, when browsing youtube I incidentally found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPSoCOdfa8

Rather cute To bad your rabbit does not feel the same way
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

haha, i wish we could try this but dont want to risk it, tonys only just under 5 months and clyde is a kicker and has bitten us when we were in the way
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Newborn Pup

Jeeze, you really should speak with a medical professional if you have symptoms of a rodent-borne virus.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old post but I found out it is because he is grumpy we also fund out he has escaped from the cage and my rabbit is fine with him... But tony isn't.... He keeps biting in Clyde....

Tags
degu crying