Degu entertainment - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Degu entertainment

I am getting 2 female degus later this week from an animal sanctuary. Me and my dad built a cage from wood and mesh, using instructions from octodondegus.weebly.com, but I don't know what to put in it! I've got a metal wheel and some shelves, but thats all.
Any ideas?

Last edited by DLHLC; 03-06-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hanging bird toys are always great for degus, especially ones that can be shredded and/or contain different types of wood and textures. Bird ladders and perches can give your degus more room to play.

Try a variety of chew toys to see what your girls prefer . Mine liked willow (you can get willow twigs, balls, baskets, etc.), yucca, cholla, and apple branches. Some degus will gnaw on pumice stones, too.

"Puzzle" toys are great for keeping degus occupied. There are some commercial ones (the Nut Knot Nibbler comes to mind) but it's also easy to make them yourself. For example, I often stuffed hay and some treats into a brown paper bag and then tied it shut. My degus had a blast shredding the bag and finding the treats. You can do something similar with a cardboard tube (from toilet paper or paper towels), just fold the edges over so they have to chew through it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks, I'm going out to buy some things on thursday, so I'll keep all that in mind

Tags
degu, degu cage, degu care