Degu Escape! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Degu Escape!

A few hours ago, Rosie escaped 0_0;;. Their cage came with plastic dishes that attach to the side of the cage and for whatever reason there aren't any bars behind them. So, if you were to remove the dishes, your pet could escape. But the degus have ceramic dishes and pretty much ignored the plastic ones...sometimes they nibbled on them but never enough to create holes or anything. Until today. Apparently one of them was bored and chewed apart almost a whole dish...and Rosie squeezed out.

Stash, my house rabbit, saved the day. He alerted us that a degu was loose and if he hadn't done that I might still be looking for my baby girl.

You see, I was on the computer when we all heard Stash stomping his foot really loudly. My mom went to go see what was going on and although I didn't really feel it was that strange (Stash stomps his foot on a daily basis...just not usually that loud) I decided to follow. We figured it was because he was out of hay. I gave him some but he still kept stomping. I then went over to comfort my degus, who seemed scared at all the noise. It didn't take me long to realize Rosie wasn't in the cage. Luckily, she must have just escaped because we found her right next to the desk the cage is on. She was in shock but seemed ok. She recovered pretty quickly, though, because a few minutes later she was stealing food from Ichigo .

Elvis and Stash's cage is right in front of the desk where the degu cage is so I guess Stash probably saw Rosie running around and freaked out (he was in his cage at the time...Elvis was elsewhere). I'm so glad he alerted us when he did because it would've been awful if Rosie got into the rest of the house...I don't know if we would've ever found her. I'm also glad the other degus didn't escape. They were probably too scared...especially after seeing their sister fall.

Rosie doesn't seem to be hurt but I'm monitering her closely...she did have quite a fall . I also have blocked off the hole and am looking into getting a large branch or something to cover that area. I'm hopefully getting them a new cage soon anyways.

I'm just so happy nothing horrible happend...a nightmare I have all the time is of my degus escaping and not being able to find/catch them again...so I freaked out when I found out it was happening for real.

Just had to share my story ^_^;. Have you guys ever had any degu escapes? I remember the day after I got my degus I had Ichigo on my shoulder and was reading a magazine...I was used to my very tame hamsters and was shocked when she jumped off and dived into the couch!! I thought I'd never find her again and was feeling awful since I had only had her for a day. I was looking into the couch with a flashlight when I felt something nibble on my hand and it was her...I was so relieved even though she bit me ^^;.

Any stories?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 03:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sounds like she had quite the adventure! I hope she is ok though and give her a hug from me and my boys

I've never had any real escapee's before as i'm a sucker for checking the cage 50 times a day plus mines solid metal so ther is no way out. The most funny story i do have is of the 4 younger degu's and it happened a few weeks ago. I was cleaning them out and for this purpose i have a smaller cage and they always protest about going in it Anyway i finally got them all in after much hassle and i got about cleaning the main cage out. I had just about finished when i heard a lot of noise so i went to investigate and whatever they were doing they had stopped and they were all stood near the door looking so cute and appealing so i thought i would give them 5 minutes attention. Big mistake as, as soon as i opened the door they over run me, all four. I was on my own and they was running every which way. I managed to grab one and put him away and then another and as i put him back in the first one i caught managed to escape again. I finally got them all back in after about 10 minutes or so of that game, they was still full of beans, I on the other hand was very tired. Since then i keep the door locked up with a padlock as they now have learnt if they push it enough it will spring open

Apart from that one of my first degu's Nipper escaped once when i was putting him into his cage and he was running around my parents living room using the dog as a practise for his mountaineering skills.He was hard to catch as he used to like to bite hence the name

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:19 AM

I opened up rummys carry case to check on him on the way back from the vets! almost lost him in the car!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:36 AM

I also had an escapee a day or two after getting my degus. I wasn't experienced with them but I had read online to take them out of their cage so that's what I did, lol. It was the second or third time doing it so I though it would be okay. I had them both running around in my room (I tried to block off any places they could go hide). Unfortunately, I didn't know how sneaky degus can be and one of them wiggled through one of those blocks. He ran underneath a really heavy cabinet. I was panicking! I tried treats to get him out and then ended up trying to make him run out but waving a long object underneath the cabinet. It worked but as soon as he saw me ready to catch him, he ran right back under. This happened for probably an hour or so and I was nearly crying by the end. I finally got him back into his cage though and all was well...until his buddy decided to run under ANOTHER really heavy cabinet. *sigh* It was the same deal for him but I finally got him into his cage too. I felt really really badly about it but I chalk it up to inexperience with degus (or any rodent-y type creature in general) and it never happened again. They always come out in the bathroom or their big rolly ball now
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:02 AM

ahhh... and i lost raisin under the bath whilst they were playing in the bathroom. we had to dismantle the whole bathroom to get him out before he disappeared down a pipe!

i also lost a wild harvest mouse in our front room! i rescued him from a cats mouth (long, funny story). paul found it the next day!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Silly degus. At least I'm not alone, hehe.

I just remembered another escape that happend before I had Rosie. I was cleaning their cage and had put them in a small wire cage I use for transporting them. I had gone outside to rinse the cage bottom off and when I came back in Hikaru greeted me! Somehow she had openned the door of the cage...now I use a small, escape-proof dog carrier.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:31 PM

I think they believe it is a game when they escape. Carrie sees us trying to catch her and hides under the couch. She will peek her head out every so often and scream at us and wiggle her tail. It's very cute but also quite aggrivating.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLocke
I think they believe it is a game when they escape. Carrie sees us trying to catch her and hides under the couch. She will peek her head out every so often and scream at us and wiggle her tail. It's very cute but also quite aggrivating.
Yup, exactly. Then again, everything is a game when you're a degu .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:59 PM

i have had many degu escapes.... the recent one i opened the cage to take them out but the refused. i left the cage door open like normal because they usually dont come out if im not there or just climb to the top of the cage.... wrong. they all jumped to my bed and hid in 2 different places.... lucky i sectioned off the half of the spots they could get into with cardboard. cardboard works wonders... without it id be searchin for 3 times as long
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:19 PM

...Your degus go into shock when they escape?
My Beebo ran off and had some bad damage done to his tail, as we accidently hit it instead of him, and the end came off, but Beebo just
ran off and found a little bit of food and ate it, just sitting there. He was
easy to catch, but still ran away from us, and wasn't in shock, and the
moment he got back in, he wasn't at all worried about his tail. He just
ate and stole things from Quinny and played. We were worried, but he
wasn't. The end of the remaining bit of his tail fell off normally, and he's
a happy, healthy degu, from what vets have said, and what we've observed.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
...Your degus go into shock when they escape?
My Beebo ran off and had some bad damage done to his tail, as we accidently hit it instead of him, and the end came off, but Beebo just
ran off and found a little bit of food and ate it, just sitting there. He was
easy to catch, but still ran away from us, and wasn't in shock, and the
moment he got back in, he wasn't at all worried about his tail. He just
ate and stole things from Quinny and played. We were worried, but he
wasn't. The end of the remaining bit of his tail fell off normally, and he's
a happy, healthy degu, from what vets have said, and what we've observed.
Rosie was in shock from the fall, not the escape .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Oh. Well they've jumped off tables and beds before and they've just been perfectly normal. I think I just have very calm degus. They love being cupped in my hands and picked up. I don't grab them by the sides because I've never done that with any animal, but I scoop them up from under their bellies. They're very friendly with me, especially Beebo. They'll sit in my hand for quite a while, and then climb on my shoulder. They enjoy sitting on my arm, too. Sort of like how a falcon sits on a falconer's arm. It's sort of funny because I'll call myself a Deguer.

Tags
cage door open, house rabbit, wire cage