Degu food - again! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Degu food - again!

My pet shop has stopped doing chinchilla pellets, and its thrown me into turmoil!!

Normally I get chin pellets and mix them with the Vitakraft degu food. I remeber people saying about Guinea pig pellets, but i've only seen Guinea Pig nuggets in Pets at Home. same thing?

should i be frantically searching my yellow pages????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The guinea pig nuggets are what i feed instead of chinchilla pellets, i have used the ones from Pets at Home and i also use the guinea pig excel ones aswell (which list themselves as being suitable for degu's on the back) which are also stocked at Pets at Home. In my personal opinion they are better for them then chinhilla pellets so don't worry they won't go hungry

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:36 AM

just a question along the same lines is russell rabbit carrot and leek gourmet ok for degus i had a look at the ingredients and there is no sugar or harmful fats and the base ingredients are the same as the guinea pig and chinchilla foods, i've asked my pet store to get me some degu food but they are having a lot of trouble finding a supplier, the only place i have found it is 40 miles away and it's getting a bit much to keep going there, i cant buy off the internet as i dont have a debit or credit card and buying in bulk is very difficult, any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Thats good, as long as there is another possible food option.... they'll never go hungry
I'll try the nuggets.
they tried to eat my fingers the other day because they smelt like peanut butter.... they went balistic!!!! theyre such monsters (cute cuddly ones of course)

Fluffball - I order in Vitakraft degu food from my local pet store (8 boxes = approx 10 and lasts a while if you mix it with pellets). any shop that sells stuff from the same company should be able to order some in for you with their normal delivaries!
As for the carrot and leek gourmet food.... it sounds okay, but i always use the rule, that if they like it TOO much, its probably not good for them!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I always used guinea pig food before they started stocking degu pellets. Now I feed Brisky's, which they do very well on.

Most chinchilla pellets are a bit too fatty for degus IMO.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:46 PM

I give mine the Pets at home Guinea pig nuggets, aswell as guinea pig muesli!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

I've looked out for Briskys but never found them! PaH guinea pig stuff it is then!

Thanks guys!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I bought the guinea pig nuggets and they really like them!! THank you.... i'll be sticking with them from now on!

PS. Raisin was a bit naughty yesterday! I let him out for a cuddle (he sits under my jumper with his head poking out) and a run about. My boyfriend gave me a choc chip cookie when he was hiding up my jumper, and he came out whilst i was looking the other way and took a tiny bite out of my cookie (straight from my hand - no chocolate fortunately)!!!!! Needless to say, he LOVED it and i will never be eating cookies around him again, because i'm in no doubt they are very very very bad for him!!! He kept sniffing around for more afterwards!!!

Raisin has been very cheeky recently! First peanut butter, now cookies! I cant eat anything around him.... i have to watch my back!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 03:59 PM

I bribed my first degu with a bit of oatmeal, to keep her from biting me initially, it worked and is her favorite treat! Then I was told that oatmeal is bad for degus...poor thing. I gave her two tiny pieces now and then just to keep the pact....lol.

Tags
chinchilla pellets, degu food, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, local pet store, pet shop, pet store, pig food