degu help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

degu help

hello

i just recently got 2 degus and was wondering if there was any alternatives for sand baths rather than buying the chinchilla sand. im also feeding my degus rabbit pellets and wondered if that is good or bad for em. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:16 PM

I dont own any degus but I have heard many people using rabbit pellets, so it must be ok. Im not sure about the sand baths though...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 07:42 PM

The best food for your degus to eat is a half and half mix of guinea pig pellets and chinchilla pellets (not the pellets with treats, or you can take the treats out). As for a dust bath I would stick with the chinchilla sand. If it's the price you're worried about I wouldn't worry about it much because one tub of chin sand should last a while with only 2 degus. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rabbit pellets shouldn't be fed to other animals besides rabbits IMO. The reason is that they contain antibiotics which may harm the degus.

I'd stick to chinchilla dust...why do you need an alternative?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM

I would stick with the chinchilla sand too.. Regarding the food just give them guinea pig food and pellets.. You should avoid too much chinchilla food as it contains a lot of fats..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:06 PM

I personally prefer chinnie sand but if you are looking for an alternative to chinchilla sand because it is expensive, or even hard to get hold of, you could use childrens play sand - with childrens play sand, you would need to bake it in the oven first to dry it out, but it's a cheaper alternative and safe - oh, and let it go cold before you use it with your degu. Do not use any other type of sand though.

Good quality chinchilla pellets is a good source of food.

Here's a very handy and very informative website, this should help you keep on top of the welfare of your degus...
http://www.degus.org/english/krm_.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by Wendy; 11-05-2005 at 06:09 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

ty all for the help
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:13 PM

Vanilla Bean chinchilla dust has a great aroma, you can smell when they've played in it all throghout the room...wonderful! Costs ~$8 at PetSmart.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Please don't feed them rabbit pellets as they are extremely toxic to degu's as most contain coccidistat which is often not labelled on the food and something that is extremely toxic to your degu's. You are better off feeding guinea pig pellets and mix or commercially brought degu food. As for the sand can i ask why you want an alternitive? As chinchilla sand is the best for them.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

only asked for an alternative because im low on money atm tis all doesnt hurt to ask
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

the vanilla dust sounds pretty cool ... i think im gonna look around for the childs play sand though but one of these days ill have to try it out

Tags
chinchilla pellets, degu food, dust bath, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, pig food, rabbit pellets