Degu illnesses? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Degu illnesses?

While I was adopting my guinea pigs, I was discussing some long-lived animals with the vet, and she mentioned that she had degus needing homes (see my other post). She said that when degus get sick, that they have decided to die and there is no helping them. Now, she has been a vet for 7 years, but this sounds very, very odd to me. Is this true?
Jesse (my SO) does not like it when pets die. He gets very depressed and blames himself, even if they were old. I was thinking that degus might be a good pet for us, since they are rather long lived and you don't have the emotional roller coaster if they get sick(If that is true).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That can't be true because many degus become ill and then recover with the right meds .

Hikaru was sick once from eating a bad peanut and she was fine...I've never had any major illnesses with my degus, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It is true to a degree. Degu's have very high pain thresholds and often don't exhibit any symptoms till it is too late (with the exception of colds and the runs etc) so to a degree the vet is right. Most often the only signs us owners will notice is a roughed up appearence, lethargic behaviour, lack of appetite or maybe something small like drinking more water than usual (which if you keep more than one is something hard to distinguish). So the vet is right to a degree as normally when they get to that stage there is little you can do for them. I have been keeping degus for the last 8 years and in that time i have had 2 go like that (at different times) who were perfectly healthy the day before, eating and drinking normally, neither had lost any weight (as i weigh my boys weekly) and neither exhbiting any signs of illness. A trip to the vets has shown up nothing either and all you can do at that stage is keep them warm and comfy and try to bring them through it but more often than not it is the end sadly and all you can do is to keep them comfy and make sure they don't suffer.

They are quite long lived pets if looked after correctly with the right care and fed the right diet and they do make fantastic little pets

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
guinea pig