Degu Intelligence... any stories? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Degu Intelligence... any stories?

One of my degus (Rum) has managed to work out how to use cable ties and what they are for!

I use them to keep the partition in the cage in place, but he's worked out thats what they are for and if he removes them, he can get into the other part of the cage. I keep having to replace them every week!

Does anyone else have stories of super degu intelligence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:19 PM

I dont know about intelligence, but Jeri knows when there is bread around and begs for it.. Her little eyes look at you until you give in.. They all have their own funny little habits, Georgie and Jimmy are very mischievious and are always looking for things to do!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's are super intelligent in my opinion and pick up on things very quickly, Basil for example recognises the raisan packet from a mile off and waits begging and Rupert has learnt how to untie things like the grab handle on his cage and he bangs it for attention from Bertie and Herbie. They also recognise voices so they are very intelligent

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, i know what you both mean when it comes to food. They know when i have brocolli, the raisin packet (super super treat/bribary), and the box of biccie treats they have (also usually bribary). they know when i'm going to get it too because they know where its kept, and if i reach that way, i end up with lots of noses out through the bars!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 AM

As soon as someone enters the room our degus leap onto the cag bars and beg for attention and treats. Ive been trying to cut back on the treats and have been giving them raw sunflower seeds once in a while, but when they do something super cute or if they have been really good they get a banana chip crumb. Im so stingy i know. My father in law sneaks into the room some mornings to give them a wheat square, they all have the whole family wrapped around their little fingers (er paws). Anyways the point is as soon as they hear us talking or the treat bag rustling they are right there, the mind of a degu is always working thinking up a scheme to get a treat or a scratch or to get out of the cage and romp around the house

I also think that watching a degu mother and her female room mates is amazing. The way that the other girls chip in to help the mom build a nest and care for the babies is amazing. I can watch them for hours, the other girls will babysit while mom takes a wheel running or water break and will even pick the babies up in their mouths if they wander too far. The communities that degus form is a testament to just how smart they are, i think they know that working together makes everything easier.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 03:43 PM

My Degus are pretty smart also, they know the sound of their carrot jar, and Nibbles always runs and hides his treat and comes back for another pretending he ate it lol. This always causes a fight when he digs it back up later on in the day!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:46 PM

Wink are they ever smart

Our 2 know when my husband is anywhere near entering the room. I had read on a website that they like dry dough and that it isn't harmful to them so I got some unsalted pretzels, well they think that everytime he comes into the room they should get one, that's how we usually get them to go back into the cage, great bribary tool. LOL

Tags
sunflower seeds