Degu isn't doing so well - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Degu isn't doing so well

My female degu, Rayna, is about 5 years old. She has a bald spot along the side of her face. She also seems unable to support herself as all she can manage is lying on her side. She can, however, scoot across on her side. She's thin, and won't eat. I've offered her several different treats that she'd normally jump for. Her breathing is rapid and she is generally unresponsive. I'm afraid to pick her up and move her in case I worsen her condition. I realize the best thing is to go to a vet, but all the ones around here aren't open today, and the emergency vet is almost an hour away and extrememly expensive. I also don't want to risk the long car ride.
I'm looking for what might be wrong with her, how I can treat her at home until Monday when the vet opens again, or, if all else fails, how I can ease her suffering until she passes.

She is also twitching her legs very often. Her eyes are shut and she won't open them, despite being awake.

Last edited by Texmo; 01-03-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Her breathing has slowed, but it's become a sort of jerking breath. The sides of her teeth are also white, but the rest is the typical orange color. I currently have her out of her cage in a slightly warm room. A pet store owner said it might be because of Cedar accidently being put in her Pine chippings. She suggested taking out the chippings and placing Rayna in her cage on paper towel to see if that helps any.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It sounds like she is comatose combined with the laboured breathing it sounds like she maybe sadly in the last stages on her life The best thing you can do for her is to keep her warm and as quiet as possible and see if you can find a vet, my vet believes at this stage they are usually pain free due to a degus high pain threshold which is little comfort but helps the pain we feel a little.

As a side note the backs of degus teeth and sides are white. I wouldn't think the cedar would cause something like this not in the short term. She is quite old at 5 so probably old age or an underlying cause as degus often hide illness really well.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I've got her in my bathroom (which is rather small so the space heater on the floor keeps it warm) on paper towel with a small spoon of water and a couple pieces of food incase she manages to eat or drink anything. The room is dark and the only noise is the heater. The idea that she isn't in too much pain is a comfort, since she is completely unresponsive now. I'm going to see if she'll manage to make it until Monday. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If she is unresponsive then its likely the end is near, i've had a lot of degus over the years and usually always follow a simular pattern at the end You have covered all the bases with keeping her warm and quiet and providing water, all you can do now is be there for her so she is not alone at the end.

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM

That jerky breathing doesn't usually last too long. Hold your darling, and give her kisses. Just being with her is a comfort to you both.

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I've been there many times, and clearly remember the terrible pain and heartbreak. I am so sorry.

Tags
degu, looking for help, sick